Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 broadhead/fieldpoint dilemma >

broadhead/fieldpoint dilemma

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

broadhead/fieldpoint dilemma

Old 08-20-2003, 01:27 PM

Default broadhead/fieldpoint dilemma

I was shooting my fields dead on at all of my ranges, then I went to dial in my braodheads and I had to do some adjusting, both north/south and east/west. Now I am shooting bullets with my 30 pin (haven' t had a chance to get my 40/50 yet), but my fieldspts. are about 6-8" north (which I hear is quite common) and 4-6" east.

I suppose I wouldn' t care, but I' d still like to do some shooting right up until opening day in a few weeks, but what' s the point when I am barely catching paper with feildpoints, and will likely kill the neighbors cat (which may not be all bad) if I strap on a couple more legit Muzzy blades (been using the practice blades provided) which would likely cruise right through my bales.

What to do? Is this an adjustment issue? Should I just get my 40 pin zero' d and forget about the fields for the remainder, beings I am very confident in what I have currently?

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-20-2003, 01:32 PM
nub

Default RE: broadhead/fieldpoint dilemma

Change places with the target. Ought to bring ya right on.[] JK. How are your groups with both? I' d keep tuneing. Thats quite a difference.
Old 08-20-2003, 01:50 PM

I had the same problem when switching to broadheads this year. I checked and found that my arrow spine was borderline for my set up. I contaced Mathews (I shoot a Q2) and they recomended dropping to a lighter braodhead and taking a turn off my limbs. Both changes helps arrow spine. With these changes made I was able to group well out to 60. I didnt lose any speed either, as both changes offset each other.

Of course, if this is your problem you could also change arrows. I didnt want to do that because I had a dozen match grade ready to go.

Don' t start changing things on your bow. If your bow shot perfect with field points across the distance of your pins it must be set up right. I' ll bet my paycheck the problem lies in the arrow.
Old 08-20-2003, 02:13 PM

Lower your nock or raise your rest and move rest closer to riser. If you want the POI to be the same or close it will take some adjustment - no matter how great fp' s grouped prior.

With the diff you have between the two I would say you need to do a bit more tuning.
Old 08-20-2003, 02:16 PM

http://www.eastonarchery.com/news/tuningGuide/complete_tuning_guide.pdf

Use Easton' s guide and don' t skip any steps and you will be VERY surprised. I know I was. I used to just adjust my sites to bring my broadheads in line. This season I used Easton' s guide to tune from ground zero and my Muzzys were within an inch of my field points. By adjusting per Easton' s suggestions I moved my nock a TINY amount and my rest to the left a TINY amount and they now strike perfectly in the same spot. I now can shoot a bare shaft with a field point, a field point shaft, and a broadhead shaft to the same point of impact just like we' re supposed to.
Old 08-20-2003, 02:16 PM

If your broadheads are shooting tight groups and your arrow flight is GOOD(no fishtailing etc). Don' t worry about it...just re-sight for hunting and enjoy.

If your broadheads aren' t grouping tightly together u have a problem...

As suggested double check your spine.
Try a larger fletch at least a 4 inch or maybe 5.
Also try helical fletching or at least a good offset.
I recently switched to feathers and was amazed at how much difference it made.
Make sure your FOC is above 10%.
Spin test arrows to insure proper broadhead alignment.(NO wobble).
Try small adjustments in rest tension, side adjustment and height.