Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Broadhead and fieldpoint >

Broadhead and fieldpoint

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Broadhead and fieldpoint

Old 09-19-2007, 12:13 PM
Fork Horn

Default Broadhead and fieldpoint

i'm shooting my fieldpoints for practicing and its perfectly shooting where I want it to, so why do broadheads differ and go all over the place? I mean I heard they do, I havent shot with broadheads yet but if they do go and kill a bird, why do they is it the weight of the brodhead?
Old 09-19-2007, 12:19 PM

Default RE: Broadhead and fieldpoint

its not really all weight its aerodynamics,very rarely can you shoot broadheads like your fieldpoints,if you shoot and r having that problem shoot mechanicals,i shoot st3 titaniums they fly exactly like my fieldpoints
Old 09-19-2007, 12:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

You can get them to fly virtually the same with a well tuned bow. Here is a good starting point!

https://www.eastonarchery.com/downloads/zips/tuning_guide.zip
Old 09-19-2007, 12:23 PM
Fork Horn

Its because of a tuning issue..

?????? if you haven't shot them yet how do you know they go all over...I dont want to be rude but don't assume....go shoot. If theres a problem then ask....
Old 09-19-2007, 12:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

The blades of a fixed blade broadhead want to steer the arrow. Field points don't have these air dragging attachments. Like fletch, be it vanes or feathers steer the arrow, the blades fight to steer the arrow as well. That is why adequate fletch is necessary to counter the blades. If your arrow is not exiting the bow pefectly straight be it vertically or horizontally, the broadhead will want to emphasize that error in flight until the fletch straightens out the arrow, if at all. That's what is refered to as planeing.

We preach either offset or helical fletch because the faster and sooner you get an arrow spinning out of the bow, the quicker it will stabilize in flight because of the blades of the broadhead. A straight fletch arrow will want to be steered by the broadhead.

Several things can cause that errant arrow flight. A poorly tuned bow, unmatched arrows or arrows who's inserts are not aligned with the shaft properly causing wobble in the head, the wobble is caused by the insert not pointing the broadhead in a straight line with the arrow.

I'm not sure if I worded that right but I know what I wanted to say. [&:]
Old 09-19-2007, 12:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: mathews outback

very rarely can you shoot broadheads like your fieldpoints,if you shoot and r having that problem shoot mechanicals,i shoot st3 titaniums they fly exactly like my fieldpoints
Absolutely false and misinformation. If your having problems, don't mask the problems with mechanicals. Flight issue in broadheads means your bow, bow/arrow combo or just arrows are not tuned. Why would you want to shoot a poorly tuned bow regardless of which broadhead you choose.

Don't use mechanicals as a bandaid to poor bow shooting. Get your bow perfect, then chose mechanical for perhaps cutting diameter....

Old 09-19-2007, 12:34 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

very rarely can you shoot broadheads like your fieldpoints,if you shoot and r having that problem shoot mechanicals,i shoot st3 titaniums they fly exactly like my fieldpoints
Absolutely false and misinformation. If your having problems, don't mask the problems with mechanicals. Flight issue in broadheads means your bow, bow/arrow combo or just arrows are not tuned. Why would you want to shoot a poorly tuned bow regardless of which broadhead you choose.

Don't use mechanicals as a bandaid to poor bow shooting. Get your bow perfect, then chose mechanical for perhaps cutting diameter....
Agree 100%
I hunt with mechanicals but I practice and tune with Fix blades.....
Old 09-19-2007, 04:00 PM
Fork Horn

Rob "That is why adequate fletch is necessary to counter the blades" what does that mean? so you have to have your fletching helical?
Old 09-19-2007, 07:26 PM

Exactly what Rob said! Don't settle for anything less
ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Old 09-20-2007, 07:33 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: G_O_N

Rob "That is why adequate fletch is necessary to counter the blades" what does that mean? so you have to have your fletching helical?
Yep thats what he is saying

Or you could use FOBs

Quick Reply: Broadhead and fieldpoint

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.