Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 how long does it take to settle in a new bow >

how long does it take to settle in a new bow

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

how long does it take to settle in a new bow

Old 08-17-2003, 10:17 AM

Default how long does it take to settle in a new bow

Just bought a new bow yesterday. A Darton Avalanche. My first bow in about 10 - 15 yrs. After the shop set it all up, they recommended leaving the draw length a bit short, saying that everything should stretch a bit with use.
I' ll be keeping the bow set at about 70 lbs. In anybodies opinion, how many shots till everything settles in & how much do you think draw length should change?
John
Old 08-17-2003, 02:32 PM

Default RE: how long does it take to settle in a new bow

How much is " a bit shorter" in relation to your actual required draw-length and the range of adjustments that are possible on that particular bow? What is your actual draw-length and what is the draw-length of the bow sold to you. Does that model have " modules" that you can interchange to adjust the draw-length? If it does, were you provided the draw-length modules that go with the bow?

With the new types of string and cable/harness materials that are used today having far less creep, and without knowing specifically how the bow shop set your bow up, I am not sure I agree with setting up a bow in a manner that your required draw-length is dependent upon string and cable creep. Even so, how can it be guaranteed that the string will creep only and exactly to the length of your draw?

In my opinion, a lot of the " shoot 100 shots to shoot in " thinking, is a carry over from the days of older string materials and Dacron. Even then (older string material), if my string was still creeping up to and beyond 100 shots, I would be suspicious of defective material and/or how the string was made.

As I said, I do not know how your shop set you up. But if they sold you a bow that did not come with the draw-length modules that allows you to adjust your draw-length, or you cannot change your draw-length on that bow via cable/string position, and they told you the draw-length was purposely left shorter than your draw-length because the bow would settle in (string/cable creep), it is possible they sold you a bow that was the only one in stock, and they wanted to get rid of it rather than order the one you needed.