Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Nocksets and string stops? >

Nocksets and string stops?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Nocksets and string stops?

Old 11-15-2011, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Nocksets and string stops?

I've always been a fan of using nock sets to provide a solid, constant nocking point, but for some reason, I actually read the back of the nock set package after I paper tuned my new Destroyer and was about to install the nock sets on the string, and I noticed something that threw me off. The nockset package said to never use a nockset on a bow with a string stop.

So that raised my eyebrows a bit. I've seen a lot of guys using nocksets with string stops, myself included, but I suppose it makes sense that the sudden stop might cause , a nock set to wear on your strings faster than normal. I don't see how the nock set would necessarily cause string wear any worse than the D-loop (especially the clamp on type) or peep though, so are they just worrying over nothing?

Has anyone experienced problems with string wear while using nock sets for a bow with a string stop?
Old 11-16-2011, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

They are putting that on the package to cover their butts in the case somebody doesn't clamp it on the string well or uses one too small and it flies off and injures the shooter. Purely a liability issue. You know how people are sue-happy these days.

That being said, I quit using brass nocksets several years ago and prefer to use serving material to serve my nockset to the center serving. It causes a lot less wear on nocks and actually I gained about 4 fps by removing that hunk of brass.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

That being said, I quit using brass nocksets several years ago and prefer to use serving material to serve my nockset to the center serving. It causes a lot less wear on nocks and actually I gained about 4 fps by removing that hunk of brass.
Ditto. Throw away those brass nocks and tie in a nock set inside the loop.
Old 03-25-2012, 03:36 PM
Spike

Ditch the clamp on ones.