Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Problem with my Whisker Biscuit >

Problem with my Whisker Biscuit

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Problem with my Whisker Biscuit

Old 08-12-2003, 07:27 PM

Default Problem with my Whisker Biscuit

I have been shooting the same " biscuit" for the past year. Had a carbon biscuit that I had not been using so since I decided to start using carbons again, decided to modify the biscuit. First, where the gap or cut is I widen it to allow me to " drop" the arrow in. Then, I cut out noches for the other feathers. Seemed to work ok.

Ordered new arrows. Blackhawk Vapor 4000. About every other time I pulled back the arrow would go to the bottom of the biscuit. In other words it would go down in the bristles to the bottom. Thought first I had skyhooked it pulling back. So I made sure I pulled it back straight. About every third arrow back to the bottom. Called myself a couple of nasty names for destroying a perfectly working biscuit.

Changed and put my " aluminum" biscuit back on. I have shot carbons off and on thru it for the past year along with the alum 2312' s. Same thing about every third time, down to the bottom of the biscuit. Granted this biscuit has had alot of arrows thru it but it only started happening with the Vapors. Got dark before I could try the alum and other carbon' s.

Finally, to my question. Has any one else had this problem??? I love hunting with the WB in a tree stand and intended to use it for my upcoming Elk hunt but this may be the final straw to change to the MZE. Just worry how it works in a tree stand or spot and stalk.

Sorry to be so long winded. Just looking for some input on what could have happened. If it matters the set up is a BowTech Pro 40 DC 60lb. The other carbons were Gold Tip 35-55 which were underspined.
Old 08-12-2003, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Problem with my Whisker Biscuit

Same thing happed to me when I tryed the same modification you did . My arrows droped to the bottom while drawing . I ordered the quick load replacement bisquet and its worked flawless ever since . I left it alone did not trim or try to cut slots for my fletching like I did on the origanal , thats what screwed it up .
Old 08-12-2003, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had the same problem with the Biscuit that I modified like that. Others have raved about the results when cutting away the bristles so that the vanes clear better, but it was a problem for me as it was for you. I do not shoot with a string loop, and some of the guys who modify the Biscuit by trimming areas completely apparently do shoot a loop.

I personally have had much better luck by trimming the back of the Biscuit (towards the string) flat. No arrow dropping and good accuracy with minimal vane distortion.

I am using an aluminum Biscuit and shooting ICS carbons and ACC arrows.
Old 08-12-2003, 11:14 PM

The Carolina Archery Products website does reccomend flattening the biscuit but not the drastic modifications that I have seen and read about on some of the forums. A stock biscuit only loses a few feet per second and you cut that lose in half when you flatten the biscuit on the string side. Deep surgery for vane clearance may pick up the speed but will compromise the reliability of the biscuit some. I prefer to keep the reliability intact. Good luck hunting!
Old 08-13-2003, 06:43 AM

If you remove too many bristles the arrow with fall through the remaining ones, or if you put the slots in tht wrong spot, this will happen. The botton of the bisquit must have a good base of bristles to hold the arrow. New bisquits are cheap, so no big problem. Just do it again, and make sure not to remove as much. Of course, the bisquit works perfectly well, even if you don' t put any slots in it.
Old 08-13-2003, 08:16 AM

I recently switched to the biscuit myself and so far it is the best rest I' ve ever used. I keep reading about cutting the notches for the vanes to pass thru. If you look closely at this idea you can see it won' t work as intended unless you completely cut away the whiskers so that the arrow is really only touching them on three sides. Try pulling your arrow thru the cut biscuit and watch where the vanes go when they hit the whiskers. They are still going to pass thru some of the whiskers everytime since the whiskers contact the arrow at angles. Mine has been working great and none of my vanes have been damaged in any way. I really can' t see any reason to cut or modify this thing in my case. It works great as it was designed.
Old 08-13-2003, 05:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I cut slots in one of mine to compare it to one with just the back flattened. I couldn' t see a speed difference on my chrony(maybe 1fps depending how much I wished it), but I could tell right away I didn' t like the slotted rest for hunting. It took the arrow holdability out of the biscuit.
Old 08-18-2003, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Found out this weekend that shooting cock feather down has softened my brissles enough to allow my arrow to fall through to the bottom by barley stroking the arrow back and forth on the rest.
I installed a new, barley trimmed, bisquit and eleviated my vane contact problem. Turnes out the softened brissles were aloowing the arrow to drop to the side during the shot, causing hard vane contact on the side support post area (deluxe model) .
Now I shoot cock up and left the brissles under the arrow alone, for extra support. I only barely trimmed in the area of vane contact.
Old 08-20-2003, 07:30 PM

I found that for the past 3 years or so that my UNTRIMMED biscuit works great. Now I do know that vanes loose alot more speed through her than feathers. So if it' s speed you want, shoot feathers. As far as advantage of speed from trimming, from all I' ve read so far your just going to cut your life of your rest in half for a very few fps. Again this is just my 2 cents. I think the rest is the best rest I' ve ever used for hunting.

Old 08-25-2003, 06:47 PM

I shoot the aluminium whisker biscuit with ICS carbon arrows and everything works fine.In twenty-eight years of shooting compound bows the only rest that has never bent, broken, gotten out of adjustment, or dropped my arrow is the whisker biscuit. Good luck hunting!