Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

my imagination?

Old 08-12-2003, 04:29 AM

Default my imagination?

I have found that when I practice at my hunting camp I will have to adjust my windage every time. I will impact approx. 3" left at 40 yds. When I return home, I will be right by that amount and return the windage to the original setting. I hunt in the mountains and wnat to know if the thinner air at the higher altitude is the cilprit or am I just nuts! I shoot 4" right helical vanes.
Old 08-12-2003, 06:25 AM

Default RE: my imagination?

Does this happen with just your broadheads in camp, or is it a problem shooting the same tip at both locations?
Old 08-12-2003, 11:07 AM

Your practice range at camp isn' t on the mountain side is it? How is the lay of the range? Do you use a sight bubble? I dropped a few points last weekend from failure to check the bubble on a shot along a slope.

Indoors to outdoors my sights change but that is usually the only time, unless I change something in my form. Another reason I love the nopeep on a hunting bow. It sure is easy to change alighnment from one day to the next without realizing it.

Just some thoughts.

Tell us what you figure out once you get it licked, because I think you will find it to be something simple. Hope you get it..... good luck this season!

-Chief
Old 08-12-2003, 11:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Chiefheadhunter is probably right on but 1 more thing is lighting.Is the lighting the same.Are you shooting into the sun at 1 place and have the sun to your back at another.If so,then you might be aligning slightly different because you have more light.This is one of the reasons people really like the round housings on their sights.They can move them and adjust the size of the peep so they get a good bit of light around the housing.

I used to have the same problem as you and it was a combination of not having my elbow straight behind me on my release hand and not having the sight extended far enough to get enough light to center my scope housing.
Old 08-12-2003, 05:26 PM

Broadheads and field points are both affected. It has become so common place that I just move the sight 3-4 clicks out in the mountains and 3-4 clicks in when I come home. I have a level built in to my Bullseye 1-pin fiber optic sight and use it religiously. the lowout is roughly level with maybe no more than a 3 foot drop over 50 yards. The real clincher was last weekend when I shot at a buddie' s camp about 10 miles away(but still on the mountain top). This was the first time I shot up there this year and forgot to move the sight and saw the same thing I occured all last year.