Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Sighting in

Old 09-19-2011, 10:56 AM
Spike

Default Sighting in

Looking for some advise here. I've been shooting all summer long. My sights are dead on!! Last week I started shooting broadheads. From the ground they basically shoot the same, right on the mark. From an elevated platform (my roof) i'm shooting about 5"low.(my field points were also hitting low). I focus on bending at the waist, keeping my arm straight etc. and still hit low. The 5" is consistant, so do I adjust my sights or compensate high. I've been shooting 15' high and 20 yards out.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:13 AM
Spike

How are you measuring the 20 yards?

If it's 20 yards through a range finder, then you need to cut a yard or so. If you are measuring from the base of your "stand", you may have a problem with peep height.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:29 AM
Fork Horn

Default Geometry v/s Gravity

From a steep angle it can be very different. I take a target out to my stands before the season opens and place it at different spots and shoot from my stand to absolutly know the range of my shooting spots. THen I can compensate if needed in between. On one field stand on the edge of the woods, I even take a weed eater with a rope tied to the stand, check the range by shooting and then cut a semi-circle into the food plot right to the ground. Two marks for first and second pin and there is no guess work out there for the whole season.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:02 AM
Spike

Thanks for the input. I should have taken some practice shots from my stand, but figured shooting in the yard would be enough. i moved my pins and split the difference. Now from my roof (which is about the same height as my treestand) im hitting about 2" low and from the ground about an inch high. It just puzzles me why the difference. When i moved the target within 15 yards its on, it seems like its that 18-24 yard range that it shooting low.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:03 AM
Fork Horn

I had this problem years ago. One thing I could figure was that my bow was slow (220 fps). I have upgraded (first to a 250 fps then to a 300 fps) I do not have the problem. My bow shoots identically from the ground to a tree field points or broadheads. Though I am not sure if my increase in speed was the solution in and of itself. There are so many theories that I can think of that can cause your problem. I believe that gravity plays a factor. From the ground you are arching an arrow. From a tree stand you are more or less sending it in a straight line (at shorter distances). Do you shoot a drop away or a fixed rest? fixed rest will cause more drag on the arrow and may effect flight from the ground to a tree. Carbon or aluminum? There are just too many factors. What I did was get a faster bow, drop away rest, carbon arrows, and went with a compact fixed blade broadhead. Im not sure if one or all helped me but it has worked. Good luck. I hope you figure it out. I know that it was a pain for me.

Last edited by MISwampDog; 09-20-2011 at 06:05 AM.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:23 PM
Fork Horn

Angled Range Compensation!!! depending on the distance verses the hight your shot could be off by as much as 10 yards, really in all short it is the pathagorean therom! a geometrical formula, the distance is changed when you ad elevation, 1 sure way to elimanate the problem is to purchase a range finder with A.R.C. technology built into it. but NOTHING beats good ole practice!!! good luck