Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

poundage ?

Old 09-14-2011, 12:59 PM
Spike

Default poundage ?

Ive been having trouble with broadheads hitting to the left of field points so i took my bow to the local proshop and the tech backed the poundage from 70 down to about 66to67 pounds.Im shooting a 340spined easton powerflight arrow 9.3gpi and have a 29inch draw, but according to the easton tuning guide i should have added poundage or a heavier bh.....Any advice on this would be appreciated......oh, and i just decided to sight in for the broadheads because after the adjustments he made it still yielded the same results.....
Old 09-14-2011, 03:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

WV, you may be sorry you did that. What kind of rest are you using? It could be that you may be getting fletching contact which may give you tuning problems. Didn't you read my last post on your previous forum about this?
Old 09-15-2011, 06:56 AM
Fork Horn

crank your poundage back up if you want it maxed out... Then do a google search on broad head tuning.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by wv bow hunter
Ive been having trouble with broadheads hitting to the left of field points so i took my bow to the local proshop and the tech backed the poundage from 70 down to about 66to67 pounds.Im shooting a 340spined easton powerflight arrow 9.3gpi and have a 29inch draw, but according to the easton tuning guide i should have added poundage or a heavier bh.....Any advice on this would be appreciated......oh, and i just decided to sight in for the broadheads because after the adjustments he made it still yielded the same results.....
You have Easton's Tuning Guide? Did you read it all? Look at the next to last paragraph at the bottom of page 13. It should say something like, "Release shooters sometimes get opposite readings from finger shooters". Therefore you may have to make adjustments accordingly.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:33 AM
Fork Horn

Broadheads are such a pain. Make sure that you allign your broadhead with the fletching (assuming you are using a fixed blade/replaceable blade). Spin test the heads. A broadhead will act as a rudder just like the fletching. If everything isn't in line you will have problems. The compact broadheads of today shoot much more accurately then the ones of yesteryear. Also, your arrow rest could be the problem. Going back to the rudder thing, a field point will have less resistance coming off of a fixed rest. A broadhead will stear the arrow more and will magnify any imperfections that the arrow may encounter coming off the fixed rest.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Check to be sure your fletching is not hitting the rest. Assuming BHs are the same wieght as FPs, move the rest to the right a hair (like a 32nd of an inch). Shoot a couple BHs and FPs, and keep adjusting and shooting until they hit the same left to right. Then re-sight as necessary.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:28 PM
Fork Horn

most deffinately tune your broad heads, and its just normal most of the time for your fixed blade broadheads to shoot different than your field points. my advice would be to buy a broadhead target and sight your bow in with them. or try mechanicals, as they normally shoot just like a field point