Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Starting Over Advice >

Starting Over Advice

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Starting Over Advice

Old 09-12-2011, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Question Starting Over Advice

After about 24 months of slow, but steady recovery from extensive surgery to repair a severed bicep, I am now approaching being pain-free and strong enough to get back to using a bow.

I have done practically no research (lazy?) on this .... I am considering starting over .... with about 45# pull and will probably max out with 60#. I have a 29 1/2" draw and have been bow hunting since 1962. I am looking for recommendation for a compound that has 65% or greater let-off, and adjustment from 45#-60# or something similar ... and gracious brace height. I am not brand loyal nor do I get all lathered up over crazy arrow speeds. I hunt almost exclusively from a tree stand.

Any recommendations appreciated.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

I got a bow just like you mentioned for my grandson. It is made by Martin and is called the Monster Buck Hunter. Looking at their compounds they have several models that fall into your category with draw weights 35-50#, 45-60# with draw lengths of 26 - 31" (wihich are easily adjustable yourself). Thes bows have 80% let off, are smooth drawing, and plenty fast.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:05 AM
Spike

I've seen quite a few older (&younger) archers going to the PSE Bow Madness and Supra because they seem to be easier on the shoulders.

I don't know the DW range, but it would be easy enough to look up on the PSE website.

Allen
Old 09-20-2011, 06:21 AM
Fork Horn

Check out the Darton Archery line. Almost all of their bows are speed bow design (like the Monster or the PSE Bow Madness). They max out at some pretty impressive speeds. That means you can crank the poundage down and still get good fps. Other bows will have to be at 70 lbs + pull to hit 300 fps while these bows may only have to be at 60 lbs or 65 lbs (depending on arrow weight and whatever). I can tell you from experience (having been a Darton owner for over 11 years) that they are a quality product.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mission (by Mathews) makes a good bow. I have an older X-3 that is a nice shooting short bow. I'm sure you can get one in your DW range.