Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Copper john and sight alighnment >

Copper john and sight alighnment

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Copper john and sight alighnment

Old 07-31-2003, 05:45 PM

Default Copper john and sight alighnment

I just bought a copper john dead nut hunter sight. I have a peep sight with a 1/4 hole. My problem is that at full draw I cant see the red ring or the level on my sight. The only thing that I can see is the pins. Do I need to drill out the hole on my peep or is there a better way. It seems that I am not using the full potental of my sight if I cant see my sight guard or my level. Now I' m looking at the level just be fore I get in position to shoot, but this is not to effective because it could move, so I have to check it by lowering the front of my bow to see if it is level and then bring it back up to align my pins. I know there has to be a better way. Please help.
Old 07-31-2003, 06:08 PM

Default RE: Copper john and sight alighnment

OO,

I had the same problem seeing my trophy ridge matrix. Make sure your peep is aligning up straight when your at full draw. The peep would be aligning a little off and the is reducing your view. If it is aligning correctly you will need to drill out the peep or buy a larger one.
Old 07-31-2003, 09:03 PM
nub

A 1/4" should be plenty to see the whole site. I have the same CJ with a smaller peep. I had to slide mine down a bit from where it was for my Cobra with a square guard. Up, down, or rotation should help.
Old 08-01-2003, 03:29 AM

It is the kind of peep that fits between the three strands of strings. I dont think that those kind can rotate out of alignment, can they?
Old 08-01-2003, 05:15 AM

Those kind of Peeps can rotate, I still use the type of peep with a tube aligner. I own a Copper John Dead Nuts Pro, Basically the same thing as the Hunter but with a seperate adjustment for the cant of the bow. I would try drilling the peep out. If you have no way of taking the peep out I would suggest just taking a drill bit and working it through the peep by hand. But this still doesn' t make sense to me with a 1/4" peep you should be able to see the whole sight. Maybe you could try mounting it one hole father foreward on your bow . My copper john has three sets of holes to mount the sight to the bow. If you have it all the way as close as it goes to the riser try the middle setting. Hope this helps.
Old 08-01-2003, 08:05 AM
nub

You can still play with the location of those strands as they pass your line of sight. I have mine mounted all the way out so that could be the difference. Whats the AtoA of your bow? Do you have a severe string angle at full draw?

What portion of the pin guard are you not seeing?
Old 08-02-2003, 04:43 AM

I can not see any of the guard only the pins.
I can only see the level if Im centered on the fourth pin down which would be about a forty yard shot which I would not take while hunting. I have three sets of holes. The first set (closes to the peep is threaded for the arrow holder. The next set the middle set is the one that I have it mounted on. Which gives me the maximum distance from the peep. The next set of holes is in the front, if I mounted it there it would bring my sight closer to my peep. My A to A is 34 inch Mathews q2. Thanks for all the help. Any suggestions would be of great help to me!