Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Sight sequence

Old 07-31-2003, 08:32 AM
nub

Default Sight sequence

I' m a little new to this bubble level and round pin guard sight I just purchased. My peep needed to be moved to allow for the circular pin guard to automatically center at full draw. I' ve never used a level. I noticed about a full bubble cant when I settle in. Between bringing the pin on target, rechecking peep and guard for center, and maintaining level; What order do you check or sequence your shot? I know with more than a couple hours of shooting this it will become second nature.
Old 07-31-2003, 09:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Sight sequence

You moved your peep so the pin guard will automatically center in the peep. Why do you need to double check that? Practice concentrating on centering the pin in the target while seeing the bubble in your peripheral vision. You do not want to take your eye off the target to look directly at the bubble. Anything that divides your concentration from aiming is bad. Very bad.
Old 07-31-2003, 09:36 AM
nub

I think I' m getting a little better at it Arthur. The guard is centering well for me now. As I' m drawing I' m paying attention to the level so I can concentrate on aquiring the spot with my pin faster. Then after a quick awareness of my level through my peripheral sight I pretty much focus completely on pin location.
Old 07-31-2003, 09:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

There ya go![8D]
Old 07-31-2003, 10:58 AM
nub

I' ll have to be sure and stop by Len' s stableizer thread and say thanks. It got me thinking about ways to simplify that level so I don' t have to pay that much attention to it. I really thought 7 or so years ago when I bought this stabe, it wouldn' t make a whole lot of difference. I mounted it on the right side now and that bubble comes in near perfect everytime. I' ve also moved it to the rear of the risor and balanced out fore and aft. I' ll most likely have to put it back on the left when I mount a quiver full of arrows tho.
Old 07-31-2003, 11:37 AM
Typical Buck

The level will really help you out if you ever end up standing and shooting across the side of a hill. I had one of those shots in a 3D a couple of weeks ago. I settled in and thought everything was great until I looked at the level. I was nearly 2 full bubble lengths canted and didn' t even realize it.
Old 07-31-2003, 12:57 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you are getting the hang of it nub. I use the same sequence you are using now. Check the level first then aim and you will see the level with your peripheral vision. It will become second nature after a while and you won' t even recall checking the thing and you' ll be correcting any can' t while never losing concentration on aiming. I' ve used on long enough that I don' t can' t much anymore but for confidence sake I really don' t think I could shoot without it.
Old 07-31-2003, 01:29 PM
nub

I guess that level is only really helpful if you can keep it square off the risor. I noticed my group open up after a gang adjustment. I put another level on the risor and found the site level to be off. I taped the level off and went back to a fairly decent group again. I think I' ll keep it taped until I' m done tinkering.