Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 O.K. Guys...need help group tuning !!! >

O.K. Guys...need help group tuning !!!

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

O.K. Guys...need help group tuning !!!

Old 07-27-2003, 07:30 AM

Default O.K. Guys...need help group tuning !!!

Well I didn' t like the QT2000RG so I upgraded my WB to a WB Quick Shot Deluxe.
Set out to tune it...........again the new WB was a breeze to tune and I had bullet holes in paper in a few minutes. I shot a bare saft through the paper and ended up with a very slight left tear (maybe a 1/4 inch or less).

My set up is a Mathews LX at 66# with PSE Carbon Force 300' s at 28" , 100 grain heads, 4" feathers with a 4* helical, .....total arrow weight is between 352-355 grains.

Started group tuning and my fletched arrows are shooting great at 20 yrds. But at 20 yrds my bare shaft arrow is hitting left about 4" and goes in sideways everytime. It is funny because my nock ends up to the right... right in front of my group making me think it' s perfect until I get over to it and see that it' s sideways.

I upped my poundage to 70# but it did not seem to change things.

Should I try a 125 grain head ? or something else........I have never tried this group tuning before ? Thanks !
Old 07-27-2003, 07:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: O.K. Guys...need help group tuning !!!

Put a few wraps of duct tape on the fletch end of your bare shafts to give the arrow about the same FOC it will have when fletched. Going to a 125 grain head would probably help because you' re right on the bottom edge of the CF 300' s spine range.
Old 07-27-2003, 07:58 AM

Thanks ......I didn' t think about that ! [8D]
Old 07-27-2003, 08:35 AM
nub

You can also leave the base of the feather along with the glue on the shaft to help simulate the weight. I think what your doing is considered more of a bare shaft tune than a group tune. Theres a good explaination of group tuning over at Easton' s.
Old 07-27-2003, 08:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yep. CBM is bareshafting but I didn' t want to confuse the issue with too much information.
Old 07-27-2003, 10:07 AM

I guess I got the two confused.

If what I' m doing is bareshaft tuning .....then what is group tuning ?

I' ll check back tomorrow. Thanks !!

Old 07-27-2003, 06:24 PM

Go to eastons website and download their tuning guide.Group tuning is shooting field point and broadhead groups and tuning until the impact point is the same.

CB
Old 07-27-2003, 07:44 PM

You might also want to check out the Whisker Biscuit website. They give some tuning tips there. I had the same problem as you & had to trim the rear of the rest.

http://www.carolinaarcheryprod.com
Old 07-28-2003, 05:11 AM

Thanks CB , Leave it to me to get something completely confused ! I guess reading some of the posts over the last several months , I got some wires crossed somewhere . I shoot mechanicals that I know hit the same as my field points......so I guess group tuning will not help me much !

I am curious now about my arrows being overspined a little. But I shot yesterday after paper tuning my bow and got excellent groups.......even getting 3 arrow groups of 2-3" at 60 yrds (which is real good for me).

Now I am wondering if I am overthinking all this tuning ?
Old 07-28-2003, 06:11 AM
nub

You might want to leave it alone if your getting 2-3" groups at 60 yards. []

Quick Reply: O.K. Guys...need help group tuning !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.