Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 O.K. Guys...need help group tuning !!! >

O.K. Guys...need help group tuning !!!

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

O.K. Guys...need help group tuning !!!

Old 07-28-2003, 07:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: O.K. Guys...need help group tuning !!!

I guess there are all kinds of ways to tune based on groups and call it group tuning. Getting broadhead groups and field point groups to hit the same place can be called group tuning but my group tuning is a bit different. Basically, you start out with a pretty well tuned bow, then make teeny tiny changes and see what they do to your group size. If groups open up, then you make changes the other way. You quit when your group sizes are as small as you can get them. I will group tune with field points if I' m shooting field points. When I' m getting ready to hunt, I' ll group tune with broadheads.

But I agree with nub... 2-3" groups at 60 yards! Whatsa matta wit you? Can' t you stand prosperity? Leave the poor bow alone!!
Old 07-28-2003, 07:44 AM

Well Authur and Nub I guess I got lucky with my tuning job !

I have never heard of any other tuning (other than paper) before getting on here. And most bow shops I have shopped with don' t even paper tune (just eye ball it). [:' (]
And I am a descent shot but I have no idea if I can get those groups again this afternoon. But I sure hope I do !!
Old 07-28-2003, 08:27 AM
nub

I group tune more or less like Arthur. Only I make a large + out of black tape on a piece of cardboard thats about 20" X20" . I stand back 30 yards and shoot an end across the horizontal line (-). I measure the higtht and make nock adjustments first until I achieve the tightest set. Then I shoot the verticle (l) and make center shot adjustments till they fall in line. After I' ve shot my best, I' ll set my pins. I usually don' t have to change much for broadheads to hit the same. You can also do this group tune with broadheads to start out with. I just find it easier to pull field tips.
Old 07-28-2003, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Check out this thread! Read the reply by Straightarrow! It' s very informative.
http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.as...de=1&s=#337815
Old 07-28-2003, 10:32 AM

I have learned a lot in a few days !!
Old 07-29-2003, 05:16 AM

An update if your interested :
Went back out yesterday afternoon and my long range groups were still pretty good, however when I dropped back to 20 yards I had about a 3-4" group.

Started re-tuning !![>:]

Now I have got it to a 1" group at 20 , a 1.5" group at 40 (several), but my 60 yard group is now about 7-8" (so I have more work to do) !! [8D]

Thanks for all of the advice !
Old 07-29-2003, 05:57 AM

groups of 2-3" at 60 yrds (which is real good for me).
Good for you? Most of us have a hard time keeping them in that good at 40 yards or less.[] QUIT MESSIN WITH IT. [>:]