Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Draw weight????? >

Draw weight?????

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Draw weight?????

Old 01-15-2011, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I'd shoot

....the draw weight I could draw and use that bow.
And not draw so much weight, that an orthopedic surgeon's name was magnetically kept on the refrigerator.
Old 01-15-2011, 04:56 PM
Typical Buck

A 50 pound bow with a good broadhead is plenty for deer out to 40 yards.My brother kills deer every year with his hoyt trykon sport which maxes out at 50 lbs. With a good broadhead like a muzzy 3-blade or a magnus stinger 2 blade it with do a lot of damage to a deer.Last year my brother shot a doe at 25 yards with a complete pass through.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:39 AM
Spike

Not sure about the Stinger, but all the PSE bows I've owned have maxed a couple or three pounds above the posted max draw weight. So you might actually end up with 52 or 53# 's when it's maxes. Which will give you better performance than turning a 60# all the way down. Just my humble opinion. Best of luck to you
Old 01-16-2011, 05:10 PM
Spike

Well thanks for everybodies input. I went down to the bow shop. The 50# is plenty. I could pull and hold a 70#. but I will hunt from a blind and the 50# is cake to pull and nice to pull when sitting down. From what I can see the 50# at 30 inch draw with a carbon arrow and 100 grain head will be plenty. Just goes to show, shoot what is comfortable and leave you ego at home.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Heck 50# is plenty for your whiteatail hunting. And a modern bow is much faster than your old Whitetail giving you more kenetic energy.
A 50 lb draw, 80% let off and a razor sharp cut on contact broadhead.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:51 PM
Spike

If you are looking it for super sharp broadheads, then 50 lb draw is quite enough, as my dad use it. So it will be a better option than going for 60 lb.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:25 AM
Spike

The key thing for any bowhunter is shot placement. If you put it in the right place, use good judgement in your shots and keep your broadheads sharp, 50# is plenty for anything in North America that doesn't bite back.

If you don't do it right, 80# isn't enough.

The good thing about an easy drawing 50# is that you can put in a lot more practice without damage to your shoulders.

Allen
Old 02-02-2011, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I feel your pain ..... literally my pain .... and dropped from 65# to 55# several years ago on an SQ-2. After a bit of sight adjustment back to dead on ... frankly I sawn nothing noticeable as far as "killing" white tails or feral hogs cleanly. Most shots still complete pass-troughs. Was still good to go at my personal limit of about 40 yards. Unfortunately slow recovery for extensive surgery has had my bow hanging on the wall for 2 seasons now. Amen to the X-Bow option in Alabama. Otherwise I'd have missed two archery seasons. Hope to be back "vertical" come fall 2011.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:01 AM
Spike

It is great I do have to say there is almost no difference except my shoulders feel better with the lower draw weight. Shots placement is perfect once sighted, arrow drop is very minimal. In fact I found a bonus to the lower draw weight I can do it with less movement and noise!!