Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrow Help

Old 10-05-2010, 08:59 AM
Spike

Default Arrow Help

I am pretty new to all of this. This is the first year I have decided to bow hunt. I live in northwest Illinois, so whitetail hunting is pretty good around here. I have had a bow for quite some time. It was a older PSE that my Dad got for me from a family friend several years ago. I was told exactly what I need for that bow. But on Saturday I went out and bought my first brand new bow, and what a difference, from a 20 year old bow to a new one. The problem is I am having some trouble trying to decide what arrows I need. I know there are several factors in selecting a arrow, I would just like to know what arrows I need so I don't hurt myself or the bow. I have read several things about the weight, but does that include the weight of the tip? For the overall weight of the arrow. I have a 2010 Martin Threshold, it set for a 29inch draw, and 60lbs with a 70% let off. Any help would be great. Thanks
Old 10-05-2010, 09:41 AM
Fork Horn

Goldtip xt hunter 5575, Easton or beman 400's, These should be right, but if i was you i would go to an archery shop and let them help you. It's alot easier that way. Sounds to me like you would need an arrow with a .400 spine or so.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

I agree with Hoyt. Your best bet is to go to an archery shop to set you up with some arrows. Most hunters today are going with carbon arrows. But alum arrows are still a good bet. And probably the best of the lot are the Easton ACCs which are an alum/carbon combo. If you do decide to go with carbons, yeah, you can shoot OK with bargain ones like Whitetails (from Gander Mtn.) cause I've done it. But for the best accuracy, get a good quality carbon. You want one with a carbon weave rather than straight carbon fibers.
You can get good arrow at a decent price through ebay. I've purchased several dozen Gold Tips on there of different spine. Check for the 'blemished' arrows. The blem is only finish. Some guys will cut to length and install the inserts for you. Otherwise you might have to install them which is no biggie. Just some epoxy and push them in flush.
Welcome to the archery world