Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Bitzenburger Jig? >

Bitzenburger Jig?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bitzenburger Jig?

Old 07-10-2003, 12:16 AM

Default Bitzenburger Jig?

I' ve been thinking about purchasing the Bitzenburger Dial-O-Fletch. Does anyone know what the degree of helical twist is on a Bitzenberger right helical jig? If the helical twist is too severe and causes clearance problems with my rest, can the Bitzenberger jig be adjusted to reduce the severity of the helical twist? In other words how versatile is the Dial-O-Fletch?

If a straight offset is desired would an additional straight clamp and straight nock receiver be needed? If so can a straight clamp indeed be turned or slanted to produce an offset vane or feather?

Old 07-11-2003, 05:41 AM

Default RE: Bitzenburger Jig?

I' ve used that jig for years, and love it. You can adjust the degrees of twist very easily- anything from perfectly straight to so angled you could never shoot it. It' s a very versatile tool, and you don' t need any special tools to do what you asked. Only thing you might think about getting is both the left and the right feather clips.

Old 07-11-2003, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just got a Bitzenburger also. I really like the quality, and the way it works. I only have the straight clamp, which can be adjusted for offset, which is how I have been fletching arrows. It is much better than my BPE fletcher.

My eperience with helical clamps is that you generally have to set the offset so that the fletch is in good contact with the arrow. If you try to use less offset, or " straighten out" the fletch with a helical clamp, the center portion of the fletching will not come in contact with the arrow. The ends will contact the shaft, and there wil be a gap in the middle. I have gotten around that by putting the fletch in the clamp, and spreading the ends of the fletch with my left thumb and index finger, while I was lightly spreading the jaws of the fletching clamp with the right hand. This would cause the middle of the fletch to pull below the actual bottom of the fletching clamp. I would then put the clamp on the jig, and press clamp down on the arrow while again pressing lightly on the clamp " handles." This allows the fletch to conform to the arrow shaft. Then let the clamp go so it again grips the fletch. Pull it off, put the fletching cement on the vane, then put the clamp on the jig as normal. It works, but it was just about as much of a pain as it sounds like. I did this mostly with skinny carbons to use with shoot through rests. If I had a straight clamp at the time, it would have been much easier.
Old 07-13-2003, 08:11 AM
Typical Buck

A great product. And you' ve gotten a lot of good advise here. I might add that if your going to fletch a hard helical, try a quality feather. If you choose a right handed feather with a right helical clamp, you' ll get good base to arrow contact. Easy as 1, 2, 3. Good luck. I' ve also used the JoJan which is a good product too. Less expensive than the Bitz, but if your only buying one, go for the best!
Old 07-13-2003, 03:32 PM
Typical Buck

just curious you fellow flethcers, what type of glue do you use. do you have any internet sites that sell feathers, glue etc cheap. thanks

[email protected]
Old 07-13-2003, 03:36 PM
Typical Buck

just curious, what type of glue do ya' ll fetch with. also are there sites that sell your feathers, glues, jigs, etc cheaper than others?