Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Wierd broadhead tuning problem >

Wierd broadhead tuning problem

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Wierd broadhead tuning problem

Old 07-10-2003, 05:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Wierd broadhead tuning problem

Here is my bow set up.

Parker UL35 @ 70 pounds
Winners Choice string
NAP QT 2000 drop away rest
String loop
2 string leaches and peep sight
30" Gold Tip 75 / 95 with 100 grain heads & 4" helical vanes. Weighing 420 grains finished.

I' m not changing my form at all, my anchor point hasn' t moved, there is no fletching contact. Maybe it' s just the heads. I' m ging to shoot some other heads and see what happens. I just hopw I didn' t waste $60.[X(]

Thanks for trying to help guys.
Old 07-10-2003, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

It probably wouldn' t make much difference, but I would try shooting those arrows with helical feathers. I' m not sure how heavy (gr. / in.) the 75/95' s are. Your FOC could be a little light, but again, I doubt that it would cause what you are talking about. Maybe the rest is hanging up occasionally, but not every time. I agree, it doesn' t seem to make any sense.
Old 07-11-2003, 07:42 AM

Scrap those GT nocks - they have caused me grief before

Try some Uni-nocks and hope for the best
Old 07-11-2003, 07:54 AM
Typical Buck

Interesting thought Rack Attack, I just dumped my Gold Tip nocks a week ago and replaced them as well, the original ones would hold on like a visegrip.

BigBulls, I too shoot a similar setup as yours, including same rest and arrows, 7595, maybe your and my problem was as something as simple as the nock, now I wish I would have at least tried that change before I got rid of them. I do think after changing the nocks I was able to tighten my groups. What the heck give it a shot. Good Luck. elknut1
Old 07-11-2003, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don' t know how your arrows are fletched, but with the dropaway, you can go with 5" vanes/feathers with a hard helical to see if that helps. I have the same rest on my bow and-- for broadheads-- made the switch to 5" helicals since the 4" slightly offset vanes I use for fieldpoints failed to give me consistent flight.
Old 07-11-2003, 09:23 AM

Rack is right get rid of LockNocks they are junk. I use Easton 3D G' s which weigh 12 gr the LockNocks weigh 24(this will give u more FOC too).

JoePA is also right about the FOC. I use 125 gr Broadheads on my 55/75 so I think your FOC could be to low. I also shoot 5 inch fletch as well. On good days I can make them fly out to 70 yards.
Old 07-11-2003, 02:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

I' ll try that nock suggestion Rack. Thanks. I never thought about it, but your right, the lock nocks do have one heck of a tight double click going on the string.

Switching the nocks, my FOC went from 8.3% with the lock nocks to 8.7% with the Easton nocks.

I' m going to the range later today so We' ll see what happens.
Old 07-11-2003, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

That' s a pretty low FOC for fixed heads, but doesn' t explain why sometimes they fly and group great and other times there all over the place...

Are you absolutely positive there is no fletching contact? Have you used powder, etc?

That would explain alot...
Old 07-14-2003, 01:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well I just can' t get them to fly with any consistancy. They' re good then bad then good again then bad again. I have tried 4" right helical and left helical, 5" right helical, re-paper tuned my bow, checked for vane clearance, the whole nine yards. I' m shooting touching groups at 25 yards and had to refletch my arrows cause I kept tearing vanes with field tips. I got them hitting within one inch of my field tips at the pro shop but got home and shot the next day and the first round was great then the second round was crap. I just don' t have the confidence in these heads that I need and want to hunt with them. They' re real dang noisy too and that bugs the heck out of me.

Think I' m going to give Muzzies and Inner Locks a try.
Old 07-14-2003, 03:24 AM

I think your problem is torquing the bow. Had the same problem and I tried everything I could think of. Finally figured it out. I was trying to group my broadheads to make sure my sight pins were on and couldn' t shoot groups. Harder I tried, the worse the inconsistancy got. Longer I shot, the worse it got. Did the same thing 3 days in a row. Practiced drawing in a mirror and saw it immeditely, I was bending my wrist, causing me to torque the bow. Probably started doing it when I shot so long in the preceeding days and just developed the habit. Crazy stuff this archery......especially when it plays with the mind.

Anyway, when you get tired of moving all your stuff around, take a critical look at your form.

Quick Reply: Wierd broadhead tuning problem

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.