Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
String Replacement -  3 Weeks to Season Opener? >

String Replacement - 3 Weeks to Season Opener?

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

String Replacement - 3 Weeks to Season Opener?

Old 09-07-2010, 07:57 PM
Fork Horn

Default String Replacement - 3 Weeks to Season Opener?

I'd like to get it done but my season starts in three weeks. I'm going with vapor trail strings so I expect to be OK with stretch three weeks out. Would you wait or go ahead?

Last edited by *twodogs*; 09-07-2010 at 08:49 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:51 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by *twodogs* View Post
I'd like to get it done but my season starts in three weeks. I'm going with vapor trail strings so I expect to be OK with stretch three weeks out. Would you wait or go ahead?
Sure, why not? One hour to replace old ones, a few hours tuning at max, and a few hours sighting in, and your done.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:31 AM
Fork Horn

Probably should of mentioned this will be the first time doing it for me since I have relied on the local pro shop previously. From reading the archives here is seems pretty straight forward.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:11 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by *twodogs* View Post
Probably should of mentioned this will be the first time doing it for me since I have relied on the local pro shop previously. From reading the archives here is seems pretty straight forward.
Just do one thing at a time. Is the bow well timed and tuned now? If is, just do one thing at a time. Don't try to take off all the cables and strings and throw on a new set. Take off your string, measure under tension, put a new one on. Twist if needed. Take off a cable and replace.

You can take a piece of delrin plastic rod, drill a hole in the side of it to slide in your cable slide rod, and mark all your settings like peep hieght, kisser position, d-loop position, and put back on just as they were.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:23 PM
Spike

Take pictures of how the strings sit on the cams for a reference .
Old 09-12-2010, 07:28 PM
Spike

Know what the factory specs are, these are at max poundage. Photos are a great idea. Vapor trial string will require some shooting in so if after you install the specs are close shoot 25-50 arrows before you make your final adjustments. You still may get some movement later but with VT strings it is not too common. Now your Guardian has a binary cam system. The cams need to be synced at full draw and NOT by using the dots on the cam, this allows you to account for differences in limb deflections.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:19 AM
Fork Horn

The limb on my bow broke last week. It's stilll in the shop. I'm sure you will have plenty of time. I'm hoping i do too lol. Good luck.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunted this past saturday morning, got home and put my new John's Custom strings on, set my nock height and put in my drop away cord, put in my peep(didnt tie it in yet). Shot it about 10 times and put it back in the press and did some adjusting to get my wall/draw length right. Shot about 20-30 more times and one more overall tune and it was pretty much done. Put another 60 shots on and they are good to go. I hunted that evening, and sunday evening. Ive probably put about 300 arrows through it since saturday No exaggeration either.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Takes me a while to get things where I want them to be and I do set my bow to shot from a stand especially at close range. If your set to go I'd leave it. I shoot differently after the first shot so the first one is the one I'm more concerned with. Takes a lot of days for me to know if I'm where I want to be.

If you have too, you have too. This being your first time it would be good not to have so little time before the season starts.

So you put them on and it shoots well. How much noise is it making? That's the kind of stuff I work at getting rid of, takes time. If one limb is working harder than another you'll have more noise.

Anybody can put strings on, getting the most out of them is another story.