Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Stumped w/ this bow >

Stumped w/ this bow

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Stumped w/ this bow

Old 09-05-2010, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Stumped w/ this bow

My son's bow has got me stumped. Need some ideas. He has a single cam bow, been shooting finger tab with it. Been shooting fine. He wanted to try a release. So I had him shoot my release to see if liked it. Clamped release onto the string. His groups improved, so bought him a release. Then I added a string loop to it. Now with the loop his bow is shooting about 6" to the right! Tried moving his pins as far right as could go, still shooting to right. So I paper shot it to be sure rest or something else wasn't wrong. Shoots bullet holes through paper. So I bought him a better sight, that has whole sight windage adjustment. Put it on, tried to line it up to arrow shaft on rest. Still can't get pins far enough to right to bring it back left. Its driving me nuts!! Something just doesn't seem right, why would adding simple loop change it so much. Never had a bow do this to me before.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

The problem started with the loop.My bet is it made him stretch out too much too be accurate with.This has changed anchor as well as overall draw length.If he does better without the loop,remove it.

Remember the release made things longer as well as the loop.You have in effect,lengthened his draw length by an 1" or more.

Last edited by TFOX; 09-05-2010 at 12:12 PM.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not surprised there is a left-right difference when going form a tab to a release. I would actually expect to see some difference.

I don't put much stock in paper tuning. Has the bow been walk-back tuned? If not, do that first. You may find the rest needs to be moved to the left. Don't worry if the arrow does not look "centered" along the string or when looking at the limbs. Centershot is different for every shooter.

If the rest needs to be moved left, that is a big part of the problem.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by TFOX
The problem started with the loop.My bet is it made him stretch out too much too be accurate with.This has changed anchor as well as overall draw length.If he does better without the loop,remove it.

Remember the release made things longer as well as the loop.You have in effect,lengthened his draw length by an 1" or more.
That's probably it. Try Tfox's idea. It works you may still be able to shoot with a loop if you make it as small as possible and use a shorter style release.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the idea guys. I cut the loop off, and he still shot to the right. I had my other son shoot the bow, as they both have the same draw lengths. He was hitting the same exact way! I noticed the cable slide was gummed up with wax. I cleaned the slide & guard w/rubbing alcohol. Wow were they dirty. That brought it back closer to center, only couple inches off. So then I made small rest adjustment, and its good to go. I may throw the loop back on, making it as short as possible, on top of a shorter release I picked up lastnight to see if that works for him. If not he'll just latch off the string.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

The wax won't hurt the string at all. Forget the paper tuning. That is only a starting point. Going form tab to release with a D loop changes the 'archer's paradox'. Now, instead of the arrow flexing left to right the loop in effect is eliminating the flex or substantially minimizing it. You bow I would suspect is out of tune. I bet if you put an arrow on the string and line the string up with the center of the limbs and look at the arrow tip I bet it is pointing left. Move the rest until the tip is in line with the string and c/L of the limbs. Then line the sights up with the arrow tip.
And download the Easton's Bow Tuning Guide for step by step tuning.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:00 PM
Typical Buck

I shot with a tab way back when I first started archery. Got the Brite idea a few years ago to go back just to keep it simple. What I discovered was a right handed shooter let's the string slide off the fingers and it moves the nock left as it is released. It changes nock travel as well as oscilations the arrow throwing everything off. Not a suprise he was shooting off to the side but I bet his elevations were close if not spot on? I'm no expert but this was my experiance with it.