Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
preferable vane twist? >

preferable vane twist?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

preferable vane twist?

Old 08-07-2010, 12:51 PM
Spike

Default preferable vane twist?

It's been LONG time since I've shot my bow (6+ years). Here recently, while tuning my bow, broadheads, etc...the glue on my fletchings has given up.
So, I pullout put my Jo-Jan fletching tool and repair several of my arrows. The 'old' fletchings were, almost, straight (a slight twist) and the 'new' fletchings have a definative twist to them (each almost wrapping around a third of the shaft). I know I bought this tool a long time ago for a reason; I just can't remember why I bought this angle of twist.
Question is, since it's been awhile, are 'straight' or 'twisted' fletchings preferable?
I can think of 2 opposing points for each; but would like to see if there is a general concensus.
littlekid
P.S. I shoot a Jennings Buckmaster (70# @ 26")with a Golden key Futura 'TM' style rest.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

I believe the normal helical (twist as you call it) is about 3 degrees. This helical is what imparts a rotation on the arrow for better broadhead flight. This helical is recommended for feathers or vanes. If you look closely at the newer style vanes (Blazers, NAP Twisters and Quik Spin XTs and others) you will notice that one side is smooth while the other is ridged or winged to cause air drag on that side which causes arrow rotation. These should be applied either straight or with no more than a 1 degree helical.