Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Need help buying new arrows, what size do I need? >

Need help buying new arrows, what size do I need?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Need help buying new arrows, what size do I need?

Old 08-02-2010, 04:02 PM
Spike

Default Need help buying new arrows, what size do I need?

Hello, I was hoping an expert could steer my in the right direction here. If so, I'd really appreciate it.

Right now I have a Diamond Marquis bow set a 60 lb. I have a
28 5/'8" draw length. I'm using a whisker biscuit arrow rest and a tru ball release.

Anyways I need to buy some new arrows for an upcoming hunting trip but the problem is I don't know what size to buy.

I currently have been using Easton ST Axis 340 10.3GPI. My arrow (measuring from the very end with a broadhead removed to where the nock locks on to the string is about 29 7/8".

Anyways looking around online I realize most carbon arrows seem to be a little lighter than these, that seems to be where the market is moving.

For general hunting of deer and hogs what weight arrow would you recommend. If I change arrows will I only need to adjust my sight or will I also have to adjust my rest.. I'm hoping just the sight as I have no bow tuning experience.

I am strong considering buying the Easton Flatline Arrows or the
Easton N-Fused Carbon ST Axis with blazer vanes. Any anyone make a recommendation on an arrow and size?
Old 08-02-2010, 05:19 PM
Typical Buck

i shoot carbon storms by easton but you wont see those online anywhere for the price i got em. UNLESS you live in central ohio and can get to vances shooter supply or buckeye outdoors. but they are awesome dollar for dollar(24.99 per 6) but i used to shoot easton nfused carbon st epics at 400 which were awesome, very light, alot lighter than my storms but they were still very strong. i had better perfomance with quikfletch quick spins by NAP instead of staight blazers
Old 08-02-2010, 06:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

To me the most important thing if you are shooting 340 spine, that is too stiff for you set up, you need to be shooting 400 spine arrows. I use 340's when on my hunting arrows, but I also have 220 gn broad heads. I'm assuming that you are shooting 100 gn broad heads like 95 % off the other hunters.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:58 AM
Fork Horn

The charts show that you are shooting the proper spine for you arrow length IF you are shooting a 100 grain head. If you can take a little length off of your arrow you could go with a 400.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:56 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by jtatarin
Hello, I was hoping an expert could steer my in the right direction here. If so, I'd really appreciate it.

Right now I have a Diamond Marquis bow set a 60 lb. I have a
28 5/'8" draw length. I'm using a whisker biscuit arrow rest and a tru ball release.

Anyways I need to buy some new arrows for an upcoming hunting trip but the problem is I don't know what size to buy.

I currently have been using Easton ST Axis 340 10.3GPI. My arrow (measuring from the very end with a broadhead removed to where the nock locks on to the string is about 29 7/8".

Anyways looking around online I realize most carbon arrows seem to be a little lighter than these, that seems to be where the market is moving.

For general hunting of deer and hogs what weight arrow would you recommend. If I change arrows will I only need to adjust my sight or will I also have to adjust my rest.. I'm hoping just the sight as I have no bow tuning experience.

I am strong considering buying the Easton Flatline Arrows or the
Easton N-Fused Carbon ST Axis with blazer vanes. Any anyone make a recommendation on an arrow and size?
jtatarin

It looks like you may have been browsing online and may have already used the chart and based on your arrow selection you are right on. Based on your question though, I don't know if that's the case. If you are not aware, use the Easton arrow selector below and it will recommend a shaft based on your cam, point weight, bow weight, & arrow length. It will give you size/spine choices depending on want you are looking for, i.e. light/fast, speed/durability, and durability/penetration.

Sorry if you were already aware of this and have used the tool

http://www.eastonarchery.com/products/selection