Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
broadheads tuning >

broadheads tuning

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

broadheads tuning

Old 08-03-2010, 05:58 AM
Spike

In my opinion, paper tuning your bow and spin testing your arrows are two key tuning techniques for getting a fixed broadhead to fly like a field tip. I do like to line up the blades to vanes but I agree with those above, it has no effect. In addition FOC can effect your flight but you should see poor arrow flight using your field tips as well but not always. If you have paper tuned your bow, spin tested your arrows and you have the same results (which I don't think will happen) start field testing heavier grain or lighter grain broadheads.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:55 PM
Typical Buck

You might have someone check out your shooting form. My problem this year with BH flight turned out to be improper grip pressure. Just be sure you talk to someone who knows what they are talking about such as a certified instructor.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:01 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by kansaswiderack
You might have someone check out your shooting form. My problem this year with BH flight turned out to be improper grip pressure. Just be sure you talk to someone who knows what they are talking about such as a certified instructor.
Totally agree with you on that. A broadheads flight is affected a lot easier than a field tip from an improper form. A proper form will indeed improve accuracy.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:45 PM
Fork Horn

several fixed blade heads drop a few inches compared to a field point of the same weight. now that i shoot rage heads they fly identical. i know nothing was said about finding another broadhead but im just saying!
Old 08-17-2010, 11:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Whitetailaddict13
several fixed blade heads drop a few inches compared to a field point of the same weight. now that i shoot rage heads they fly identical. i know nothing was said about finding another broadhead but im just saying!
Thats because your bow is out of tune.....
Old 08-18-2010, 08:41 AM
Fork Horn

I used to have the same problem with my fixed blade broadheads...i switched to a mechanical blade last year and you cant tell the difference in flight between the broadhead and a fieldpoint
Old 08-18-2010, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used to have the same problem with my fixed blade broadheads...i switched to a mechanical blade last year and you cant tell the difference in flight between the broadhead and a fieldpoint
Again, because either your bow, the arrow, your grip, or one of or all of the above is out of tune..If a fixed balde broadhead of the same weight as your practice field points don't impact very nearly the same, then something is out of whack and by simply switching to a mech. head is only putting a bandaid on a problem, not to mention the fact that is your arrow aren't flying true, they also will not penetrate as well as an arrow flying true..you guys need to learn how to find and fix the problem instead of taking the easy way out..