Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Bow makes a bit of noise on initial draw >

Bow makes a bit of noise on initial draw

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bow makes a bit of noise on initial draw

Old 07-23-2010, 06:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default Bow makes a bit of noise on initial draw

Hello.

I have a mathews drenalin and its about three years old. I had a string replaced on it a couple of months ago. Recently it makes a bit of noise on the initial draw, but not on those following that during a shooting session. It kind of bothers me, since I'm a hunter and the initial draw will be when I'm getting ready to line up on a game animal. The noise may not be serious, but I hear it and it bothers me. It may be string related, may be something else.
How do I tackle this? Is there odorless oil that I can put on the little bearings to see if it then goes away and move on to something else if it doesn't?

Thanks
Dan
Old 07-24-2010, 08:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Dan if you can't find it, take it to a pro shop, we can't really help you from not seeing the bow. At this point we would all just guessing, chances are it's something minor and they will be able to help you out with a charge.

Or it could be something about to break, I would go into a bow shop and put this behind you, hunting season is right around the corner.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:44 PM
Typical Buck

I had a noise problem while drawing the arrow back several years ago that was bugging me . I thought it was a wheel or cam or slide . I discovered that it was the arrow (aluminum) scraping the prong rest where the rubber coating had worn through .
Since then I have gone to drop away rests and carbon arrows .

Have someone with good hearing stand next to you while you draw your bow and see if he / she can pinpoint where the noise is coming from .
Old 08-02-2010, 05:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Rev is right, take it to the shop and have them look it over. It may be something simple or it could be (hopefully not) something more sever including a cracked limb. Good luck
Old 08-02-2010, 07:00 PM
Fork Horn

My girlfriend had a mathews mustang, so did my mom. After having them for a while, they each developed the same problem. When the drew, about 1/4 of the way into their draw they would be a squeek. Never failed, it happened every time. After checking everything 200 times or so I finally concluded that the noise was coming from the inside the top limb pocket. I took them down, and under the limb there was a metal circle (been a few years back but I think it was like a washer, and could come out) I put a little bit of gun oil on the surfaces of it and put it all back together. That fixed the problem and we never had issues again.