Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
shooting better without stabilizer >

shooting better without stabilizer

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

shooting better without stabilizer

Old 03-30-2010, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Man, some folks try to way to hard to justify their opinion as fact.

Who can argue with the greatest coaches, shooters and bowhunters in the world with their proven stabilizer tips and suggestions ???

Only the cyber staff on Hunting Net! LOL!
Old 03-30-2010, 06:36 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by IL-Cornfed
Man, some folks try to way to hard to justify their opinion as fact.

Who can argue with the greatest coaches, shooters and bowhunters in the world with their proven stabilizer tips and suggestions ???

Only the cyber staff on Hunting Net! LOL!
Probably hunters in general. Don't worry, most of us have been down the path of big stabilizers and have figured out what makes sense as a hunting rig. There is a balance one must meet.

I mean if you plan to shoot deer from the ground on an open range where you can let your bow drop after the shot, then these coaches can help a guy like you.

But most hunters do not hunt like this.

Old 03-30-2010, 04:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Brasshead - wheter to use a stabilizer or not is personal preference regardless of the arguments posted. I have satbilizers on a couple of my bows but 2 do not have them. But to answer your question to silence your bow, most of the noise you hear is probably coming from the twanging of the string and can be quickly silenced with any of the numerous string silencers. I forget the name but there is a rubber cylinder about 1 - 1 1/4" long that you tie to the string that helps a lot. Another thing you can add is Limbsavers silencers that attach to the limbs. (there is a model for solid and one for split limbs.) And if you want to try a different, lighter stabilizer, the Limbsaver S coils are light and help absorb vibration. You can get one as short as 3 1/2".
Old 03-30-2010, 06:04 PM
Spike

As I said before I am a practice before season kind of guy. I turkey hunt from ground blinds and deer hunt from stands and blinds. I seam to be shooting better without the stabilizer but maybe I could be better with the right one. The bow has string stoppers up by the cams maybe a short doinker would help with the noise. What about shooting closed or open handed? Seems like my hand isn't in the same place every time when I shoot open hand.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:11 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Brasshead
As I said before I am a practice before season kind of guy. I turkey hunt from ground blinds and deer hunt from stands and blinds. I seam to be shooting better without the stabilizer but maybe I could be better with the right one. The bow has string stoppers up by the cams maybe a short doinker would help with the noise. What about shooting closed or open handed? Seems like my hand isn't in the same place every time when I shoot open hand.
That is a form issue. You should shoot with a relaxed hand, not gripping the riser. Gripping the riser will result in torque which will shift point of impact. USE A SLING! I have seen guys drop their bows after the shot...... a $10 sling will prevent you from dropping your $500 probably plus rig!

As far as the stabilizer arguments.........

Simply putting on a long stab with heavy weight on the end won't automatically make you a better shot. In fact it may make you struggle at first. I've been told to give the stab a week.

I've used shock absorbing style stabs since I started shooting (Doinker a bomb, fuse, etc). They do very little as far as stabilizing but very good at absorbing hand shock and noise. I bought a Paradigm SOS late last year with a DEAD Weight in the end. This is a very adjustale stab. I have it set up with alot of wieight forward. I haven't been able to shoot since early Jan due to a back injury/surgery so I can't report my findings on it yet. I can say I can hold better/more steady at full draw. I'm almost fully recouperated so I'll be spending more time behind the bow soon.

What may be happening is the additional weight of the stab is causing you to grab the bow on release as it feals like your going to drop it. This is what bigcountry is saying should be avoided by bowhunters. I see his point. But if I can hold steadier and make a better shot with a big ole weight forward stab i'm going to use one. With the speed of most of todays bows (even ones we consider slow) the arrow has already found it's mark by the time the bow is starting to roll forward like the target shooters let happen. After the shot the bowhunter can grasp the bow to stop it from rolling........ takes practice I'd reckon. I'll soon find out.

Hope this all makes sense.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

For the folks who still kid themselves that you don't need a stabilizer.... here are some pretty good opinions and some FACTS....

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1186118
Old 03-31-2010, 07:07 AM
bigcountry

For the folks who still kid themselves that you don't need a stabilizer.... here are some pretty good opinions and some FACTS....

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1186118
I am curious here. Are you not capable of trying different things and find out if they work for you, and find out new ways of skinning the same cat? Do you really have to ask the advise of some guy on archery talk? Or read a book decribing what you need for target archery to get the job done? It just boggles the mind

Old 03-31-2010, 09:10 AM
Spike

i have to say that i agree with big country. this is more about finding what works best for your set up. the stabs that target shooters use just arent going to work for us hunters. i dont even use a stab. my bow rolls forward without on. and i dont want to carry extra weight through the woods all day just to make the usual 25 yd shot on a 6x6. that is my opinion, which is worth just exactly what you paid for it: not a thing.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
I am curious here. Are you not capable of trying different things and find out if they work for you, and find out new ways of skinning the same cat? Do you really have to ask the advise of some guy on archery talk? Or read a book decribing what you need for target archery to get the job done? It just boggles the mind
The way I figure, a guy could be a wanna-be online cyber hunter like you..... or actual take the game and the sport seriously enough to wanto to take the game to the next level.

All you ever offer anyone is your rigid opinions, never factual based informed posts. I wonder why HuntingNet struggles to keep any members here ?!? This actually used to be one of the busiest forums now its a ghost town with a few trolls like you still lingering around. Sad but true..... but you keep thumpin' your chest trying to convince yourself that you're all that?
Old 03-31-2010, 07:42 PM
bigcountry

The way I figure, a guy could be a wanna-be online cyber hunter like you..... or actual take the game and the sport seriously enough to wanto to take the game to the next level.
You never answered the question. Why are so incapable of actually trying something and finding out yourself? Why do you need to beg for info on archerytalk and have other guys spoon feed you info. Get out there and do some shooting and experimenting like this poster did. Quit being a cyperhunter and actually get out there and quit searching for answers on the internet. Form your own rigid opinions, not that of some poster on another webpage.

Here is what I clearly explained. Yes I know plenty of field target shooters and archery coaches. So yes I got plenty of backup
1.) Huge stabilizers are great for target shooting. Espeically when one learns the disciplines of proper grip and follow thru
2.) Stabilizers are useful for hunting bows as long as it balances the bow
3.) Target archery isn't bowhunting and vise versa and should not be confused. Every field archer I know agrees.
4.) Stabilizers are fine for hunting rigs as long as it does not encourage the shooter to grab/torque the bow in situations like treestand. But more often then not, espeically new shooters tend to develop bad habits. And hense the need for garbage like a sling.

Last edited by bigcountry; 04-01-2010 at 04:56 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.