Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
shooting better without stabilizer >

shooting better without stabilizer

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

shooting better without stabilizer

Old 03-27-2010, 03:28 PM
Spike

Default shooting better without stabilizer

I have been bow hunting for many years but I don't shoot 3-D just practice before season kind of guy. I just changed to a wisker biscuit from a QAD. My groups at 20 yards were about 2-3 inches I was not happy with the switch. Then I removed my stabilizer and every thing improved! My groups shrank I hold the bow more steady and now I'm splittin pine cones at 30 yards. The only draw back is the bow is noisey now compared to before. What would be a good stab that will suck up noise and be light as possible.

Oh by the way the stabilizer was a NAP shock blocker and the bow is a Missions X3

thanks
Old 03-27-2010, 03:46 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Brasshead
I have been bow hunting for many years but I don't shoot 3-D just practice before season kind of guy. I just changed to a wisker biscuit from a QAD. My groups at 20 yards were about 2-3 inches I was not happy with the switch. Then I removed my stabilizer and every thing improved! My groups shrank I hold the bow more steady and now I'm splittin pine cones at 30 yards. The only draw back is the bow is noisey now compared to before. What would be a good stab that will suck up noise and be light as possible.

Oh by the way the stabilizer was a NAP shock blocker and the bow is a Missions X3

thanks
People IMO make this big mistake with stabilizers. They get one thats way too front heavy for the bow. A stabilizer should be wieghted so that the bow sits dead steady in your hand. After the shot, your bow should not go forward or back.

Old 03-27-2010, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
People IMO make this big mistake with stabilizers. They get one thats way too front heavy for the bow. A stabilizer should be wieghted so that the bow sits dead steady in your hand. After the shot, your bow should not go forward or back.
BC, I'm afraid YOU are the one that's totally off on what proper bow stabilization is all about !!! In fact, your OPINION is nearly the complete opposite of what maximizes stability!

Perhaps you should do some serious research and possibly interview a top level shooter to get the facts ?!?

WOW, I'm still shaking my head on that one! LOL!
Old 03-27-2010, 04:27 PM
Spike

Is it possible to have to much stabilizer out front for a hunting bow?
Old 03-27-2010, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

"We first need to define the role of a stabilizer in archery. A stabilizer should hold your bow steady both while at full draw and at the time of release while shooting. When an archer is holding at full draw, there are many forces built up in the bow string, cables, limbs, the arms, hand and back of the archer, etc. When the arrow is released, these forces change suddenly. These changing forces end up pushing and/or rotating the bow affecting the flight of the arrow. The job of the stabilizer is to minimize the movement of the bow resulting from these forces.

The way to decrease something's movement when a force is applied is to make it heavier. If rotation (i.e. torque) was not a factor, the answer would just be to increase the weight of the bow. But with rotation, weight is much more effective if it's moved away from the center of rotation. That's why tight rope walkers use a long pole instead of a short baton."
Old 03-27-2010, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

You should shoot as much weight as you can comfortably handle. Of course, the more you shoot.... the more you will be able to handle.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:48 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by IL-Cornfed
BC, I'm afraid YOU are the one that's totally off on what proper bow stabilization is all about !!! In fact, your OPINION is nearly the complete opposite of what maximizes stability!

Perhaps you should do some serious research and possibly interview a top level shooter to get the facts ?!?

WOW, I'm still shaking my head on that one! LOL!
Don't worry, I shake my head on most of your posts. Stabilizer does stablize horziontial movement, but at the cost of usually causing hunters to develop bad habits. Target shooting is totally different than hunting and should not be confused. Many target shooters also have back stabilizers to balance the bows.

Newbies make this mistake seeing olympic shooters let thier bow fall. No fool does that in the woods. If they do, well, they don't hunt much and are well a fool.

If you have to catch your bow after the shot, that causes bad habits of torquing. Especially new shooters. If you need a wrist sling, you need to think about balancing your bow.

I don't care about top level shooting and all that crap. I am hunter, and I know what works for hunting. Thats the reason I see many target shooters who are poor hunters, and awesome hunters who are ok target shooters.

Old 03-27-2010, 07:51 PM
bigcountry

Absolutely, thats the reason you see many a newbie with a big ole stabilizer and then after years of shooting might come here asking why they are shooting better without. Causes bad habits of gripping the bow and need garbage on your bow like a sling.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:47 AM
Fork Horn

Back to your question, shooting with a stab or not!! Go to your local shop and try, if they allow it, a few different ones. For hunting stay 12" or less and weight is all over, due to where the weight is placed. A lot of people mistake the rubber stabs as good stabs (Doinkers, Limbsaver, etc) They really are not stabilizers but sorta shock absorbers. For some that is all they need. I shoot a heavy 6" with a 1"doinker in the front, I like the weight, and feel I have great control after the shot.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

If you shoot better without one then throw your stabilizer at the dummy's that think they know all about stabilizers!

Mark, you can't argue with those that THINK they know it all, I've met many in my 40 + years of competing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.