Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
speed or power..........? >

speed or power..........?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

speed or power..........?

Old 02-25-2010, 08:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default speed or power..........?

hey guys just wanted to get your opinion on an issue im having.

i am doing a bear hunt in the fall... and can decide what arrows i should use i cant decide between speed or power.. i have never hunted bear so dont know which 1 is the better choice. here is my set up

still waiting on z7 so im shooting a hoyt vulcan 70lbs 29in draw

1st arrow. i have 6 left are easton 340 fmj with 100 grain slik tricks i get about 274-275 fps but i get about 77 lbs of kinetic energy

or i was thinking the ACCs i shot a test arrow at the shop and was shooting 297 but only 65lbs of kinetic energy..

my problem is.. at close range it really doesnt matter, but hunts dont always go as planned.. this is a spot n stalk hunt.. so in your opinion would you pick speed for the added distance or power
Old 02-26-2010, 05:08 AM
Fork Horn

I've lost all my links to show you but when you are hunting larger game the heavier arrow is always better to a point. It starts losing its benefits at about 15 gr per lb. However the Black Bear is not exactly the thoughest skinned animal on the planet so I would make a moderate weight arrow that still has decent speed to it. At 70 lbs I'd recommend a setup in the 500-550 weight range. Not the heaviest in the world but not the lighest. I've taken an American Bison with a 55 lb High Country bow shooting 407 grain Arrows. Complete pass through at 30 yards. I like to hover in the 7-8 gr per lb area for pretty much anything in North America. It will give you the weight you need to penetrate and the speed you need so you don't have to aim 4 feet high at 40 yards. Some of my heavier arrows I shoot right now I end up aiming with my 30 yard pin for 20 yard shots (they are up in the 1000 gr area). And the best thing you can do is practice practice practice with your setup get a good feeling of how the arrows react. One thing I would worry more about then my arrows though are my broadheads. Do you know what broadheads you are planning on using?
Old 02-26-2010, 06:40 PM
Fork Horn

thanx AC....i am still really up in the air on what broadhead i wanna use... i really would like to shoot fixed blades, but i have always had problems getting them to fly right.. but i have used rage both 2 blade and 3 blade and was not happy with them.. with my current set up i didnt get nearly the penetration i would have thought on both my bucks i never got a pass through with them and i hit dead center ribs at 20 and 30 yards..i was thinking trying slik tricks again..they flew ok.... any suggestions
Old 02-27-2010, 05:37 AM
Fork Horn

I used a G5 Montec for my Bison hunt. The trick was is you had to make sure that the arrows and the broadheads matched up and spun straight. The Archery shop I go to has a little tool that helps make sure the broadheads seat propery against the insert which made my arrows fly considerably better. I can shoot my broadheads at 40 yards and keep them in almost as tight of a group as I can with my field points. Pretty much any good cut on contact will work though. I prefer a one piece solid construction personally. I also like the 3 blade design. Triangular wounds are less likey to close up. You don't actually need a complete pass through either. As long as it goes in and cuts the lungs, heart, or main arteries you're good to go. Again its a Bear hunt so pretty much any setup that you like for Whitetail will do a decent job on the Bears. Have Fun and Good Luck!
Old 02-27-2010, 05:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

ya really need to have a lil of both...if you were in a tree huntin over bait....they could tell ya about how far your are shooting, but with spot and stalk ya never know...personally i would prolly go with somthin stiff and heavy to get through a grizzly bear...definitely a fixed blade...but it just depends on the circumstances.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:23 AM
Fork Horn

Having taken several bears, in MO, the fmj and the st is a great setup. I shot a 6'9" black at 20yds and the arrow was an easy pass thru. The shot placment, to me, is more important. Study the spot you have to hit. Draw a straight horizontal line through the middle of the bear, then draw a verticle line through the body, from the neck to the rear end. Now take the verticle line more it about 6"forward on the body and that is where the perfect shot is. I have had 12 yr olds have pass throughs with 40# rigs.