Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
D. I. to the F###in' Y >

D. I. to the F###in' Y

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

D. I. to the F###in' Y

Old 11-05-2009, 10:13 AM
Typical Buck

Cool D. I. to the F###in' Y

Ok, I'll try and tell the story in a few words;
82nd Airborne lost it's power and got a new vaportrail string.
But the new string didn't fix the problem, I got less braceheight and only 50# on 60# maxed out limbs.
Furthermore was the string biting the rubber on the stopper.
So I went to the shop where I bought the bow, they couldn't change it, tried twisting the string and cables. I went over about 4 times because I wasn't satisfied.
After that I went to the import dealerschip for bowtech ( 3h drive which is a lot in Belgium ) and he wouldn't touch the bow with the non factory string. he would change the vaportrail string for a factory one. Because I was desperate I left the bow and said that if he could get her to shoot 57/60# again with sufficient braceheight I would glady pay him.
He told me he'd ship the bow to my local bowshop where I bought the bow.
The day after my bowshop received my bow I went over and the guy had to take it out of the box and had to change the string and cables himself !!! ( the same guy who could fix it in the first place....) I told him to shove it. I asked to measure the factory strings and cables and they were exactly the length of the vaportrail set.
I was so pissed, I took the bow and left.
So this morning I called another bowshop just over the border and explained the whole thing and they said, "just come over and we'll fix your problem for sure".
So I did, the guy took the bow and came back after 5 min, shaking it's head, " This is too much work and it won't work, furthermore the string isn't factory....blablabla...."
I didn't say anything more, I bought a bowmaster bowpress and went home.
Touching wood, but no less than 45min after I put the bowpress on, my cables are twisted, cams in synch, braceheight perfect and my bow's up and running again with 57#.
The only thing she's missing it about 1cm less in ATA but after my first hunt the 14th I'm going to fix that as well.
Moral of this story, if you want something done right, the best way is to do it yourself !!!

thx to the people that helped me solve this little problemo

When my bow's assembled again, I'll post some pics and giver her a full review.....

Frank
Belgium
Old 11-05-2009, 10:34 AM
bigcountry

I am glad you got it fixed. But 1cm less ATA is worrysome. Your basically having to stress your limbs more to get same poundage. I feel your frustation and wish I could help.

So you can't ship back to the US to the bowtech facility?

Old 11-05-2009, 10:37 AM
Typical Buck

so, I should try and untwist my string some more ? I am going to leave it be until after my first hunt.

F.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by m9a9g9i9c
so, I should try and untwist my string some more ? I am going to leave it be until after my first hunt.

F.
Let it be Frank. Don't get all that concerned about the ATA. 1cm is not very much considering that factory specs are just close approximations of where the bow performs the best. If you want to get back to 60# then maybe all you need to do is add a couple twists to the cables. This should bring the weight up without affecting the specs too badly.

I would say this. A string is a string when it comes to setting a bow to specs and those shops you were dealing with are a bunch of dick-heads. Most strings are made of virtually the same materials, usually Brownell or BCY products and none can hurt the bow. It's a shame you don't have better shops around and as you have found out it pays to be able to do things yourself.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:21 AM
Typical Buck

There are too many shops around and they have enough business to go by. The place where I bought the bow tried to help me out but didn't have enough knowledge to do so. This makes me wonder how many shooters are out there with badly tuned bows or guys who get suckered into buying stuff they don't need....
All I know is my next bow will be bought in the USA when I am on my honeymoon.

F.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by m9a9g9i9c
There are too many shops around and they have enough business to go by. The place where I bought the bow tried to help me out but didn't have enough knowledge to do so. This makes me wonder how many shooters are out there with badly tuned bows or guys who get suckered into buying stuff they don't need....
All I know is my next bow will be bought in the USA when I am on my honeymoon.

F.
Well, congrats on the marriage. When will that be? Where you planning on visiting in the states? Maybe somebody could make some suggestions on a good shop in the vicinity you'll be on your honeymoon.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:54 AM
Typical Buck

Default honeymoon in the US

well, I'm planning on visiting Florida, my wife to be's son would love to go to Disneyland and I might try and do some hoghunting over there...

We'll see,

All I know is I'm bringing my bow and enough spending money for a new bow, maybe the destroyer.....

F.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by BGfisher
Let it be Frank. Don't get all that concerned about the ATA. 1cm is not very much considering that factory specs are just close approximations of where the bow performs the best. If you want to get back to 60# then maybe all you need to do is add a couple twists to the cables. This should bring the weight up without affecting the specs too badly.

I would say this. A string is a string when it comes to setting a bow to specs and those shops you were dealing with are a bunch of dick-heads. Most strings are made of virtually the same materials, usually Brownell or BCY products and none can hurt the bow. It's a shame you don't have better shops around and as you have found out it pays to be able to do things yourself.
Exactly BG!! Good Post! Some shops never cease to surprise me.

Dan
Old 11-08-2009, 05:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

glad to see you fixed it. I got a bow shop down the street but will not go there. he is to high and a *** when you say something about buying from another shop due to his price. Gander mountain is up the street not sure after they left the sight loose i want them touching my bow. The shop i bought my arrows from is 1 1/2 a way but worth the drive. Glad you got it going good luck.