Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Practice arrows and Hunting arrows >

Practice arrows and Hunting arrows

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Practice arrows and Hunting arrows

Old 09-23-2009, 09:17 AM
bigcountry

One thing, arrows loose spine the more you shoot em. I found this out with my aluminums shooting traditionals. I would practice all year with a set of 6 and then got strange flight with brand new ones. Sure enough spine changed.

Now, I shoot em all. Each arrow gets it fair share.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:53 PM
Spike

Dull blades/broadhead practice etc. is the reason I went to G5 Montecs. Their design allows you to practice with them all year in foam and then easily sharpen them for the real deal. Other BH's like NAP Hellfire Magnus SS Snuffer's allow for the same kind of resharping on a flat stone. Furthermore, those Montec's are ONE PIECE cut-on-contact spin AND weight tested +/- ...it doesn't get any more simple than that. Somethin' to think about I guess.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by swlauterwasser
Dull blades/broadhead practice etc. is the reason I went to G5 Montecs. Their design allows you to practice with them all year in foam and then easily sharpen them for the real deal. Other BH's like NAP Hellfire Magnus SS Snuffer's allow for the same kind of resharping on a flat stone. Furthermore, those Montec's are ONE PIECE cut-on-contact spin AND weight tested +/- ...it doesn't get any more simple than that. Somethin' to think about I guess.
OK, I have a question about this. I've been involved in archery for 36+ years. I've shot field, outdoor target, indoor target, 3D, and have been an avid hunter. I don't shoot as much as I once did, but still manage to pound about 8000 shots a year through a bow. Many times 50 or more shots a day 5 days a week.

Now my question is; why in the world would you shoot broadheads all year long? I know guys do this, but I fail to see the logic unless you're hunting all year long.

I shoot all year long with target/field points. I know how to tune a bow to the nth degree so when hunting season nears I install broadheads or already have them made up. I shoot them for a little bit of practice. Either they shoot or they don't. If need be I tune or retune to get perfect flight and hitting with my target points. I then change blades for the real deal and set them aside.

Shooting broadheads has to dull them or even damage them. The cost of broadheads alone makes me shiver these days so why use them for practice? I don't get it.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

this is why i like muzzy or other easily replacible blade system...

i will give each shaft its own broadhead...i will shot it and make sure it flies true...i keep a pile of "practice blades"(good blades but ones that been in the quiver all season or whatever..i buy fresh blades yearly)

this way there is NO question that any arrow i grab is flying where it aughta fly...

ive had trouble with my muzzys the last 2 seasons...i dont know what it is but certain shafts will not shoot certain heads...i head to work through the combos..but finally got a bunch to shoot right...had 1 or 2 out of a dozen just refuse to shoot...could be the arrows or inserts or ferrule on the head etc...

flight difference usually wasnt GREAT..but im picky about that...
Old 09-26-2009, 05:56 AM
Typical Buck

I agree with tho others. Hunt with what you practice. For hunting season, I have a dozen arrows, and six fixed broadheads. I mark them 1-12, and the broadheads 1-6. I shoot each broadhead on all 12 arrows, that way you'll find any arrow inconsistancies, or broadhead diffifiencies. I rarely have to ditch an arrow, but it seems always find one flier out of the broadheads if all six are new. Sharpen or replace the blades after practicing with them
Old 12-13-2009, 04:46 AM
Fork Horn

I don't own a practice arrow I shoot all my arrows with 100gr.Muzzys and while practicing I will throw out any that don't perform well! Just because you spin test your broadheads don't mean they will fly good you may have one or two arrows that have a weaker spine or more or less foc so toss out any that don't perform then before hunting I pick out the best fleched arrows and replace the blades and re spin test and then use them for hunting
Old 12-13-2009, 05:02 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by wvnimrod
I don't own a practice arrow I shoot all my arrows with 100gr.Muzzys and while practicing I will throw out any that don't perform well! Just because you spin test your broadheads don't mean they will fly good you may have one or two arrows that have a weaker spine or more or less foc so toss out any that don't perform then before hunting I pick out the best fleched arrows and replace the blades and re spin test and then use them for hunting
Also even though I will not shoot at a deer at more then 30 yards I shoot all my arrows at 50 and 60 yards I've found that you will find out more about your form and your equipment by shooting at longer range you will also learn to aim better and that will help at any range!
Old 12-19-2009, 06:35 AM
BTM
Fork Horn

My Muzzies with the practice blades fly the same as with the hunting blades.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:37 AM
Fork Horn

A word to all the shooters that use a pratice head!! Use the head you are going to shoot at animals, they deserve nothing less. I know that sounds as though that defeats the purpose but far too many times both don't fly the same. If you do use pratice heads paint them white,yellow, gold, pink, any color that is bright and different from your actual bhs. Someone came in and told me he just shot an 8pt and no blood, found his arrow and found a practice tip!
Old 12-19-2009, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by brushbustin
I have arrows set aside for practice and I have 3 broadheads set aside for practice.But I just put my brand new broadheads on my hunting arrows,and got to thinking,should I shoot my hunting arrows with my new broadheads on them to make sure they shoot the same? They are both the same,same arrow same fletching and same muzzy 100gr 3blade broadhead.Should I shoot them 1 time each to make sure they hit where they are supposed to? Or will it dull the blades? Or should I put my practice blades on my hunting arrows and take a shot or to. Or, Or am I just thinking about it too much? LOL
I shot a doe last year w/ the same BH that had been through 2 other deer and 2 coyotes......she ran about 50yds, and looked around as if I'd missed her, to this day no one could convince me that she ever knew what happened before she died. In less than 10 seconds, probably nearly half of that she stood in place looking around, she was dead. IF you're BH's aren't that good, then you need a NEW BRAND!!! Try a 3 pack of Slick Tricks, and you'll NEVER go back..... I've shot MANY of the broadheads I have well over 100 times, and a little re-edging, and they're as good as new.....

Originally Posted by wvnimrod
Use a GOOD BH, and you won't be putting arrow aside.... Muzzy is so inconsistent, that I'll never buy them again. I had better luck w/ the CHEAP stuff at Wal-Mart than w/ the last pack of Muzzy's I bought!!!

Last edited by OHbowhntr; 12-19-2009 at 09:26 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.