HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Practice arrows and Hunting arrows (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/304570-practice-arrows-hunting-arrows.html)

brushbustin 09-22-2009 08:30 PM

Practice arrows and Hunting arrows

I have arrows set aside for practice and I have 3 broadheads set aside for practice.But I just put my brand new broadheads on my hunting arrows,and got to thinking,should I shoot my hunting arrows with my new broadheads on them to make sure they shoot the same? They are both the same,same arrow same fletching and same muzzy 100gr 3blade broadhead.Should I shoot them 1 time each to make sure they hit where they are supposed to? Or will it dull the blades? Or should I put my practice blades on my hunting arrows and take a shot or to. Or, Or am I just thinking about it too much? LOL:patriot:

itsslow98 09-22-2009 09:29 PM

wouldnt hurt to try it, if your worried sharpen them after you test fire them just to ease your mind but unless you are shooting at a hard surface(tree) i dont see the blades getting dull from one shot.

mfd1027 09-22-2009 09:41 PM

If it would give you peace of mind and more confidence in your setup then by all means shoot them. Just touch em up afterwards.

I shoot all of my arrows quite a few times but use practice BH's that I've spin tested. I set aside a few brand new heads that I will screw on to my best shooting arrows. If they pass the spin test after installation I'll put em directly into my quiver without shooting them again. I have confidence in my system. It's all about feeling confident in your setup.

Dan

brushbustin 09-22-2009 09:46 PM

Do you think shooting the broadheads 1 time into a foam target will dull them?

bigbulls 09-22-2009 09:46 PM

There is no such thing as practice arrows and hunting arrows. You should always practice with the same exact arrows that you are going to be hunting with.

RuLzU 09-22-2009 10:32 PM

I kinda agree. hunt with same arrows you practice with.
what i do is i set aside 12 practice arrows. and 2 months before season i whip out 5 new arrows and practice with those as well. then pick the best 6 arrows and take those hunting.

BUCKMARK 09-23-2009 12:26 AM

No matter what arrows you do most of your practicing with, when it comes down to the ones that you will shoot at a deer, you best make sure they are flying where you want them to. Always make sure your blades are sharp and you are good to go...

early in 09-23-2009 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by brushbustin (Post 3450681)
I have arrows set aside for practice and I have 3 broadheads set aside for practice.But I just put my brand new broadheads on my hunting arrows,and got to thinking,should I shoot my hunting arrows with my new broadheads on them to make sure they shoot the same? They are both the same,same arrow same fletching and same muzzy 100gr 3blade broadhead.Should I shoot them 1 time each to make sure they hit where they are supposed to? Or will it dull the blades? Or should I put my practice blades on my hunting arrows and take a shot or to. Or, Or am I just thinking about it too much? LOL:patriot:

I do the exact same thing. I practice with my 100gr Muzzy 3 blade practice heads ONLY, I don't shoot field points at all. All of my arrows are EXACTLY the same in every respect, so when I put a hunting arrow (spin tested) on my string I know it's going to fly/impact just like my practice arrows.

The Outdoorsman 09-23-2009 08:21 AM

You should always practice with arrows you are going to hunt with.

BGfisher 09-23-2009 09:10 AM

As the others said, shoot your hunting arrows to make sure. Will the foam dull the blades? You bet, but I guess that's why they make replacement blades. Change them out and keep those "dull" ones for practice next year.