Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Problem with Rage after switching blades. >

Problem with Rage after switching blades.

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Problem with Rage after switching blades.

Old 09-22-2009, 04:07 PM
Typical Buck

Default Problem with Rage after switching blades.

I just switched the blades on my Rage 2-blades with the new 40KE blades. I called the manufacturer to make sure that i could do this and they said the 2-blade bodies are the same as the new 40KE bodies. I had 6 old heads from my 2-blades and changed all of the blades out today. On two of the heads, i cannot get the blades to lock in the closed position. It's as if the blades are catching on the o-ring rather than passing over the o-ring into the locked position. I also did change out all of the o-rings and even tried several o-rings on the two heads that i am having problems with. Has anyone else ever experienced this problem?
Old 09-22-2009, 05:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't have an answer to you problem because my blades don't move, hinge, slide, pivot, or require an o-ring.

As much as I try to educate people about broadheads at the shop and here.... the one piece of equipment that should be as simple and reliable as possible people just want to make it as complicated and prone to failure as they can get them. Honest to God, I don't know why you guys want to go through so much trouble with your broadheads.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:22 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bigbulls
I don't have an answer to you problem because my blades don't move, hinge, slide, pivot, or require an o-ring.

As much as I try to educate people about broadheads at the shop and here.... the one piece of equipment that should be as simple and reliable as possible people just want to make it as complicated and prone to failure as they can get them. Honest to God, I don't know why you guys want to go through so much trouble with your broadheads.
Wow... thanks for the insight. YOUR COOL!
Old 09-22-2009, 05:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am not trying to sound like a smart arse but open your mind a little and think about it for just a minute.

You are sitting there trying to get, what should be a simple and reliable piece of equipment to work properly when there should be nothing to have to get to "work". Even coming on a forum asking for advice on how to get them to work.

Why do you want to complicate something that should be as simple and solid as a rock?
Old 09-22-2009, 07:12 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bigbulls
I am not trying to sound like a smart arse but open your mind a little and think about it for just a minute.

You are sitting there trying to get, what should be a simple and reliable piece of equipment to work properly when there should be nothing to have to get to "work". Even coming on a forum asking for advice on how to get them to work.

Why do you want to complicate something that should be as simple and solid as a rock?
I have been using mechanicals for the last 5 years, and not once have i ever had a problem during a shooting situation. Based on what you are saying, you should be hunting with a traditional bow, not some fancy smancy compound with a bunch of moving parts. Why complicate things? lol

If you can't answer my technical question please but the ____ out and go rain on someone else. I didn't ask for your opinion on mechanical vs. fixed. I asked if anyone has experience with this particular issue.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:32 PM
Typical Buck

Anytime you put a wing at the front of a projectile, you have the potential for steering. That is exactly what you are doing when you attach a fixed-blade broadhead to your arrow.

You work hard to figure out how best to shoot a bow and you tinker with the tuning until you have great arrow flight. Now, the last thing you want is an arrow that decides for itself which way it will go once it leaves the bow. With a wing at the front, there is always that potential. The larger the wing, the larger the potential problem.

I’m not saying a problem is guaranteed. When you have a well-tuned bow, a perfectly straight arrow, with a nock, insert and broadhead all in alignment and when you hold good shooting form through the shot, you will shoot most fixed-blade heads accurately. But if any of those elements breaks down, you will have a wind-planing issue. And the faster it flies, the more it will wind-plane.

If you remove the wing from the front of the arrow, or reduce the size of the wing, you eliminate or reduce the possibility for a problem. That is Aerodynamics 101.

The goal then becomes a combination of two tasks. First, make the wing as small as possible. Second, get the bow, arrow and your shooting form as good as possible. The smallest wing is no wing, and that is the only reason to shoot mechanical broadheads.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:48 AM
Spike

so the other 4 rages worked perfectly well with the 40ke blades? are the cavity's that the blades set in possibly bent in any slight way on the other 2? i would try taking the blades out of one of the 4 that are working and put it in one that isn't locking, that should tell you if its the broadhead or the blades.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mikey30067
so the other 4 rages worked perfectly well with the 40ke blades? are the cavity's that the blades set in possibly bent in any slight way on the other 2? i would try taking the blades out of one of the 4 that are working and put it in one that isn't locking, that should tell you if its the broadhead or the blades.

I agree. Pain in the butt as it might seem like... that will let you know if its the head or the blades.

Those stupid roll pins can be a real beesnatch to work with... might have buggered something up... its easy to do.

I have been using mechanicals for the last 5 years, and not once have i ever had a problem during a shooting situation. Based on what you are saying, you should be hunting with a traditional bow, not some fancy smancy compound with a bunch of moving parts. Why complicate things? lol

This is a retarded arguement in my opinion. The bow is going to do exactly the same thing every single time. What makes it change is the way we draw, hold and release it... we are the weakest link in the system. With a recurve... we are still the weakest link in the system. ]

With a broadhead... there are an infinite number of variables that are totally beyond control. Angles... bones... tissues..... no two shots are exactly alike.... the name of the game is to eliminate some variables... and thats what fixed heads do for me.

Lets face it... if it was simple to get fixed heads to fly to POA/POI with field points.... or if broadheads just always shot as good as field points do... then mechanicals would not only hardly ever be used..... they probably wouldn't even exist. You'de a fool to make something more prone to failure simply for the sake of doing so. It would be like starting the 4th string QB in the super bowl just because it would make a great story if it worked out.

I watched Mike Hanback shoot his rage practice heads into a target at 50 and 60 yards on TOC the other night... Man they flew like darts..... Mike then turned around and whiffed on a 24 yard shot on a huge mule deer. He punched the trigger.... and he admitted it. The deer ran and stopped about 40 yards away and looked back... he already had another arrow on.... and started to draw and then stopped.... I didn't notice until they replayed it in slow mo... (and they didn't mention it of course.... what would the sponsors say).... but every single arrow in his quiver full of rage heads had the blades deployed... and the reason he didn't get a second shot off.... my bet would be that his blades on the arrow he was about to shoot had slipped.

Anybody care to recall what happened to Randy Ulmer at the long range broadhead shoot this past winter????
Old 09-23-2009, 08:54 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by dstubb

If you can't answer my technical question please but the ____ out and go rain on someone else. I didn't ask for your opinion on mechanical vs. fixed. I asked if anyone has experience with this particular issue.
Sounds like your having troubles now? Listen to BB, he will set ya straight.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:57 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
Sounds like your having troubles now? Listen to BB, he will set ya straight.
You obviously did not read what i wrote. I said that i have not had an issue in a "shooting situation". But thanks for that, maybe you can shed some light on the meaning of life while your at it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.