Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Looking for new release >

Looking for new release

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Looking for new release

Old 05-19-2003, 11:22 AM
Typical Buck

Default Looking for new release

Have been shooting with a TruFire Hurricane for the last year and a half. I am not particularly impressed with the trigger feel. So begins my quest for another release. I am not looking to go to a BT or rope release, but more toward a single jaw release like the Scott Mongoose or Jim Fletcher Jim Dandy. The primary use will be for hunting and some 3D.

Anybody have experience with either one of these releases or another? I am looking for the feeling in the trigger that I get from a good firearm (little or no takeup and no creep)...you know....nice and crisp. It would also be a bonus if the trigger pull was adjustable.
Old 05-19-2003, 03:45 PM

Default RE: Looking for new release

I am using the Scott Little goose. I love it. The trigger is adjustable as well as the length of the release. Very good release. While this can be shot as a back tension, it is not a back tension release in the traditional sense.

If you want a back tension release try the Chappy boss. It is very good and can be adjusted for trigger travel and trigger pull. It is adjustable just like a rifle trigger.

I don' t know if you would want to hunt with a back tension. I like the wrist strap style caliper releases with a trigger for hunting. Just my opinion.
Old 05-20-2003, 07:22 PM
Typical Buck

I shoot the Little Goose and really like it too.
Old 05-21-2003, 08:56 AM
CG

I just bought the Copper John' s Eagle Wrist strap release....I really like it because I can anchor like a do with my target releases, i.e. more consistently....
Old 05-21-2003, 09:11 PM

The Jim Dandy is a ' hook' style release and has a great trigger. The only problem that we noticed was that the ' hook' was backwards from every other ' hook' rest on the market. This made for a very awkward situation where arrows kept popping off the string.

If you' re also looking at the Scott releases, which also have a good trigger that' s adjustable, they have a ' hook' style release. It' s called the Rhino II.

One other ' hook' style release that I just started testing is the Tru-Ball Short and Sweet. So far it' s working flawlessly. The only thing I would question is its shorter hook for hunting. I just wouldn' t want a malfunction at the time Mr. BIG steps out.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-22-2003, 07:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

When you say rope, I' m not sure if you mean on the release or the string. In any case, I would agree with Len that you may want to look at a hook release instead of a caliper type. You also stated that you wanted a release with no creep. I would really suggest that you look at any T.R.U. Ball talon head releases. I have a King George and love it. The thumb trigger is basically pressure activated and really doesn' t have any creep or travel what so ever. There is also a pinky trigger on the release. You can shoot either the thumb only, pinky only, or a combination of the two. I generally use the combination.
Old 05-22-2003, 07:55 AM
Fork Horn

I shoot a Mongoose and love it. Last August (at the IBO Worlds) Tru-ball was working on a caliper release that had zero trigger travel and was adjustable for trigger weight (like a good rifle trigger), don' t remember what they were going to call it, and don' t know if it is out yet. Might give them a call.