Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Arrow Flight Question >

Arrow Flight Question

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrow Flight Question

Old 09-10-2009, 05:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default Arrow Flight Question

Been shooting a lot lately and have been noticing some problems with my arrow flight. I was shooting out to 30 yrds. the other day and noticed a dramatic arrow angle upon impact. I'm a lefty and the vanes were pointing pretty well right (see picture).

I've been reading up on the subject and some possible explanations. It seems like it might be a weak arrow spin. Too heavy of a draw weight or too heavy of a arrow/point. Is this the correct assumption?

I'm shooting a single cam, 29" draw @ 70#, Beaman ICS 400 grn. arrow with 100 grn. heads.

If anyone might be able to share some information I'd appreciate it. Thanks for the help!

Old 09-10-2009, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Unless they are really flying erratically, an arrow should straighten out at 30 yds and hit fairly straight. Could the target be causing it?

Move closer and see if you get a tail left condition. An arrow that is fishtailing should impact tail left or right depending on distance.

Was there a cross-wind when you were shooting?
Old 09-10-2009, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Without seeing it first hand and reading your specs I would assume you are absolutely correct. A .400" spine is too light for your setup. You should be shooting at least a .340" spine at about 28" long and possibly even a .300" would work if they're 29".

Of course you will have to tune or retune your bow to shoot them, but the results should please you when you're done.