Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
New Bear Bow string issues >

New Bear Bow string issues

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

New Bear Bow string issues

Old 09-08-2009, 01:50 PM
Spike

Default New Bear Bow string issues

I have a new lights out and shot the Done deal last year. Both bows seem to have the same issues with serving wear around the cam. My new lights out after about 50 shots started wearing the serving just above the cam and now after a couple of hundred arrows the string is starting to show. I wax it like told but it still seems to keep on wearing. Is this normal? Both the done deal and this lights out are both doing it in same locations and the cams are the same. THanks for any advice or input.
Scott
Old 09-08-2009, 02:10 PM
Fork Horn

It sounds like a cam lean or spacer issue, but you are NOT the only one I have read about. Try putting some super glue (or similar) on the area that is wearing. I know it sounds bad, but the SG will let the cable slide without any more wear.

Allow it to dry before shooting.

You could also try a better string set with Halo on that end.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:50 PM
Fork Horn

Well I have the lights out and have shot tons of arrows from it since January, after an initial break in period it doesn't seem to get any worse. The strings really aren't very good on it in the first place so I'm replacing mine after bow season but when you pull back you can see where it's rubbing, I asked the tech at a local bow shop and he said it's just fine, just keep it waxed and once it gets broken in it shouldn't get any worse.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I thought their strings were WC??? Anyways, I wouldnt worry about it until its really bad. Just keep an eye on it, and if you think its really bad, take a pic and post it up on here and we can check it out for ya

Derek
Old 09-08-2009, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MoNoFletch
It sounds like a cam lean or spacer issue, but you are NOT the only one I have read about. Try putting some super glue (or similar) on the area that is wearing. I know it sounds bad, but the SG will let the cable slide without any more wear.

Allow it to dry before shooting.

You could also try a better string set with Halo on that end.

It could be cam lean... but on those bears it is usually cam over rotation... or just a hard spot on the mods that push the serving apart. If the cam over rotates... you'll hear a snapping noise... thats the cable stud actually coming around and contacting the cable. The Element was famous for this.

Bear uses cheap ass strings. Only the Truth 2 uses WC strings. And even they can be CUT..... but won't separate (at least they guarentee they won't.. which would give you a right of redress). You need to get that baby reserved, or put some higher quality stuff on there.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:45 PM
Spike

So what I have found on the web is that this seems to be a very common problem with all the newer bear bows. Has anyone put a winners choice string on any of these bows? THey claim no serving seperation. What about truth 2 guys is this a problem with that bow as well. Just dont want it to break or come loose in the woods during the season and then have to put on a new string and go through all that.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:09 AM
byg
Spike

Inthebox I am in the same boat, I have the Element model and my servings are like yours...So do you guys think a quality string will fix these issues.
Oh yea are you guys waxing the servings.. I thought you only were to wax the string?
Thanks

Last edited by byg; 09-09-2009 at 07:12 AM.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:16 PM
Spike

i dont think it has anythng to do with the serving or string. i have a hoyt and have had the same problem. before that i had a bear instinct with the same issue. what the shop thought the problem was when pulling to full draw, we tend to pull on the string a little harder to get it to full draw causing the string and the cam to hit each other harder forcing the serving to loosen. after a while it will get worse. getting a newer string will still do the same thing. thats what the shop dsif. what i did was contact hoyt and no problem fixed because the problem isnt that bad. i did my own surgery making the gap where the string goes in a little smoother and alittle wider with a dremal and file. i notice there was a little sharp groove in the cam. thats how the cam was made. i beleive thats what made the serving fall off. have someone pull your bow and watch the string go around the cam and find the sharp edge. now it works fine. i dont recommend anyone to do what i did, but if the manufacture is not going to fix it i will myself. i still have the same string that it happend on the bow. i also fixed the serving.

Last edited by tnx3102; 09-10-2009 at 05:19 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:47 AM
Spike

I just bought the lights out this summer and mine has done the same thing. Ive probably shot 300-350 arrows through it and it hasnt seemed to get any worse...ill probably put better strings on it next year.