Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
New String and cables >

New String and cables

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

New String and cables

Old 09-02-2009, 11:41 AM
Typical Buck

Default New String and cables

Just got a new set of each and the bow is shooting a ton high. I am pretty sure that my peep sight is to blame. My question is this: is moving the peep the same as moving your sights, if I am shooting high do I move my peep sight up??? Any insight would be helpful.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:44 AM
Fork Horn

Just from thinking about it I would think you would need to lower your peep. I wouldn't mover the peep unless it really is not in the same place as it was before. If it is, then I would move your sight as a whole.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:38 PM
Typical Buck

Mike, you're kind of doing things backwards. Set your peep first. Close your eyes, draw the bow, relax, open your eyes and check your peep. Move your peep up or down until it comes back perfectly every time. Now move on to your sight. If your hitting low "lower" your sight- you will have to raise your bow arm because you lowered your sight and you will consequently shoot higher. Just the opposite if your shooting too high- raise your sight. First the peep - then the sight.

Dan
Old 09-02-2009, 02:17 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by mfd1027
Mike, you're kind of doing things backwards. Set your peep first. Close your eyes, draw the bow, relax, open your eyes and check your peep. Move your peep up or down until it comes back perfectly every time. Now move on to your sight. If your hitting low "lower" your sight- you will have to raise your bow arm because you lowered your sight and you will consequently shoot higher. Just the opposite if your shooting too high- raise your sight. First the peep - then the sight.

Dan
agreed-peep should be done first. sighting in should not involve moving your peep!!
Old 09-02-2009, 05:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree to a point with the above but there can be some fine tuning of the peep after you get the sights close.Most of us circle our housing so if we end up moving the housing after we had our peep set,we may find a slight peep adjustment is needed for maximum accuracy and comfort.

This is one reason I tie my peeps in,in such a way I can move them up and down without reserving.

It is also commom to set peep sights in for the kind of shooting you will be doing.For hunting you might make the peep most comfortable for hunting distances,like 25 yards.BUT,if you are a serious 3-d competitor,you might set the peep to be most comfortable at the average shot distance,for me I set mine at 33 yards(because my housing moved on a slider).If you were shooting 70 meters,you would set it for that.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

As far as getting new strings and cables,that is why you are shooting high.Your timing might be off or slightly different than before.Tiller may be slightly different.The nocking point might be lower and the peep might be off as well.Get everything right,including peep and then resight.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:21 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks guys, I'll be on my way back to the shop.