Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Nocks Kicked Right >

Nocks Kicked Right

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Nocks Kicked Right

Old 08-25-2009, 05:07 AM
Fork Horn

Default Nocks Kicked Right

I have a Bear Instinct set at 60# with the 60#limbs cranked down all the way set with a 28" draw. I am shooting 400 weight Beaman ICS Hunter arrows cut to 27" with Blazers and 100gr 3 blade Rage's. According to Beaman's charts, the spine should be fine. At 40 yds I am noticing a severe case of the nock end of the arrow about 10-15* right of the point. I have never paper tuned. I had the center shot set a few years ago when I bought the bow and haven't touched. I am thinking that I need to adjust the rest in towards the riser some to correct this. What is the first place I should start to correct this. I don't have a good shop nearby that could help, and I don't have a setup for papertuning.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:48 PM
Spike

Are you saying your arrows are sticking in a target like this or you can see them fishtailing at 40yds?

By this time they should be straightened out.

If they are sticking in a bag target like that at 40yds it's most likely just the target. However, fill us in on more details
Old 08-26-2009, 05:08 AM
Fork Horn

They are going into the target at an angle. When I walk up to the target they are sticking out with the nock of the arrow angled to the right I'm guessing 10 degrees or so. I've pretty much given all the details I can think of. It's a small block target.

Last edited by marshall9779; 08-26-2009 at 05:10 AM.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

A picture is worth a THOUSAND words.....

What does your arrow flight look like??? How are your groups at 30-40yds??? If they are consistently that way, and your arrow flight looks good, groups are decent at 30-40yds, I'm gonna say it ain't a whole lot to worry about.

You don't need to paper tune, in most cases, it's a waste of time. Have you BH tuned the bow???? That would be where you may find some of you're biggest tuning/form flaws.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:06 AM
Fork Horn

To me the flight looks ok, and one of the groups at forty I basically had 2 of 3 almost touching and the 3rd only about 1.5"-2" away. I have Montecs and Rage three blades and I was checking that they were both grouping the same with my new arrows. I plan on using the Rages though.
What is Broadhead tuning. Both the rages and the Montecs group the same and have the same POI as my field points. I may just try adjusting the rest in and out to see if it makes things any better.

Last edited by marshall9779; 08-26-2009 at 09:10 AM.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:04 AM
Fork Horn

How you're describing it, I wouldn't touch a thing. Sounds like you're tuned pretty close to perfect and any adjustment could just make your groups and broadhead tuning worse.

I wouldn't worry about how the arrows are hitting the target at an angle, especially at 40 yards, by that time it should be straightened out even out of an untuned bow. Probably just something in the target causing it.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:10 AM
Fork Horn

It was just something I was a little concerned about. Pentration seems good. The target is only about 12" thick. At 20yds I get broadheads coming out the other side by about 6-8 inches. At 40 yds they were anywhere from barely sticking out, to about 1-2 inches sticking out. Still pretty good for 40yds I think.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

I woudlnt go messing with too much. Sounds like nothing that is going to effect much at all. 99% of the times anyway, your shots are under 30 yards. How do the arrows enter in at 20 and 30 yards?
Old 08-26-2009, 12:26 PM
Fork Horn

20 and 30yds look fine. 40yds would be my limit on a shot. I think the longest shot I've ever taken has been about 23 yds, and I've put 4 deer on the ground with the way it's been set. I was just a little worried about penetration with the arrow not going in square. I haven't placed a shot well enough to judge penetration on a deer as three have been spine shots and 1 through the shoulder and didn't make it through the opposite shoulder. Hopefully I can place a shot a little better this year and be able to judge penetration. If I am not satisfied I may need to shoot a heavier head or a heavier arrow. I don't have a scale but I'm guessing mine weigh about 360gr a piece give or take.