Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Setting pin distance >

Setting pin distance

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Setting pin distance

Old 08-23-2009, 04:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default Setting pin distance

Hi everyone i just bought a new bow and site which is the Matthews reazon. I have the trophy ride site with five pins and i want to site it in as 20, 30, 40, 50, and 70. The only problem though is on my 40 pin the site shoots to high and wont adjust anymore (maxed out). Every time i do another rough adjustment i cant get the 20. My bow shoots realy flat though on the first 3 pins should i just make a 20 40 50 60 70? i just dont know what to do, any suggestions please.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:40 PM
Fork Horn

Im trying to picture in my head what your talking about, but cant.
You said the 40 yrd. pin wont adjust up anymore? So your shooting too high at 40?
Can you move the whole sight, called the gang adjustment? This moves the entire pin housing up or down and should give you more range of adjustment. You should try that, and readjust your other pins back to there respective yardage.

If this doesnt help, try to give a little more detail as to what is happening. Im sure it can be adjusted some way.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why 50 then 70??? What's the point??? 20 then 40??? Not a chance, you're better off with a 20-30-40-50 set. Even between 20-40, an average set-up will have considerable drop (10-15" or more sometimes)!!! My set-up has about 15" of drop shooting an arrow around 280fps. Do you have any idea how fast your bow is??? I set pins based upon bow speed. If my bow is shooting 275fps, I'll draw a trajectory and determine how long I can stretch each pin out for the best "error" proof range for that particular set-up. I have a 24, 32, 40, 48 and another bow that is set at 25, 34, 43, 50.

No point in having a 50 and then a 70yd pin, there are gonna be 20" of drop between 50 and 70yds, even with a 300fps bow, you may as well make it 50 and 60, and learn where to hold for 70!!!!

Last edited by OHbowhntr; 08-24-2009 at 01:01 AM. Reason: add....
Old 08-24-2009, 12:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by FossilThomas
My bow shoots realy flat though on the first 3 pins should i just make a 20 40 50 60 70? i just dont know what to do, any suggestions please.

Yes. Either that or make it 25, 35, 45 etc. Most modern super fast arrow throwers shoot too flat between 20 and 30 to get the pins close enough together. Thats why I like a single pin, mover sight.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:40 PM
Fork Horn

I would like off by saying thank you to everyone that had commented!
I would like to start off with the gang adjustment. Every time i use it to adjust one pin lets say the 40, then the 20 pin goes out of adjustment field. That is why i was thinking about the 20 to 40 set up. My arrow only drops about 4" so i shoot high or low depending on the shot. When i set up the 20, 30 my pins were overlaping each other and i really dont think that is good for hunting. Also i would like to say about the 50 to 70 pin is 70 would be my max i would be shooting and that is an open field situation. So 60 yardswould be a little more easy with two reffrence points insted of one.

Thanks for all your comments, please feel free to leave more!
Old 08-24-2009, 05:11 PM
Fork Horn

How fast is your bow shooting?
Old 08-24-2009, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Take the top pin out of the equation and move it all the way up or remove it all the way out. Use a four pin set up 20 30 40 50 and god knows what else distance. You will never use it anyways if you are hunting in the woods and you best be a great shot anything outside of 40. Good luck and let us know what you choose to do and I appologize if I am harsh.......
Old 08-24-2009, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SGT.H
How fast is your bow shooting?
Good Question.....

Originally Posted by FossilThomas
I would like off by saying thank you to everyone that had commented!
I would like to start off with the gang adjustment. Every time i use it to adjust one pin lets say the 40, then the 20 pin goes out of adjustment field. That is why i was thinking about the 20 to 40 set up. My arrow only drops about 4" so i shoot high or low depending on the shot. When i set up the 20, 30 my pins were overlaping each other and i really dont think that is good for hunting. Also i would like to say about the 50 to 70 pin is 70 would be my max i would be shooting and that is an open field situation. So 60 yardswould be a little more easy with two reffrence points insted of one.

Thanks for all your comments, please feel free to leave more!
FT,
You're arrow drops more than 4" between 20 and 40yds, TRUST ME!!!

Try this link http://home.att.net/~sajackson/ballistics.html and this one...... http://utopiaprogramming.com/ke/KineticEnergy.html# and then you may have a better idea of how fast your bow shoots, and what sort of "drop" you'll have from one distance to the nesxt.

Not many people who can't get a sight adjusted have much business shooting 70yds in all honesty!!!
Old 08-26-2009, 04:30 PM
Fork Horn

My bow is shooting 297 fps, and i was saying 20 to 30 my pins are touching