Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Bare Shaft Tuning? >

Bare Shaft Tuning?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bare Shaft Tuning?

Old 08-24-2009, 07:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default Bare Shaft Tuning?

I recently had some issues with flight/tuning/groupings, but with the help on here things are looking pretty dang good. i haven't re-checked the paper tuning - but based on my groups coming together - i think it would paper test pretty good.

Tonight i tried a bare shaft - very strange flight. for the most part the arrows were hitting left of feild tips at an angle that i was 15 feet up in the tree. terrible results at 30 - 20 yards was less than 30 but not very good - 10 yards hit relatively close to the mark, but strange angles.

My brother who shoots a dxt tried it and he had the same results, but to the opposite side.

Is this something else i should try and iron out or is that tuning test suppose to be done inside of 10 yards? What kind of results should be expected?

Thanks again.
Trav
Old 08-25-2009, 12:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is big country's specialty, so I'll let him fill you in on the nitty gritty.

I can say with right strong conviction, that if you have a drop away rest that attaches to your down cable, such as a QAD, Trophy Taker, Schaeffer, Ripcord, Trophy Ridge, etc.... you can pretty much shut it down when coming to bareshaft tuning. Rests such as this do not off the guidence that shoot through rests, shoot around rests, and up cable attached drop aways do. You get some forgiveness when it comes to punching the shot and torquing the bow (a lot of forgiveness actually), but you do give something back in the potential accuracy department... a super steady hand with a spring steel rest will outshoot an average joe with a super tuned drop away any day.... but mistakes are amplified quite often with a rest like that... which is why pro shooters don't make too many mistakes.

I digress.... BC will show you the path.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:49 AM
Typical Buck

Good post SC. Didn't realize how much forgiveness a down cable drop away like my QAD gave me. No wonder I shoot so good with it.

Trav, If things worked out when you did some walk back tuning after resetting things I don't see the need for bare shaft tuning but I will also digress to BC. Have you shot any BH's to see how they group with your new adjustments?

Dan
Old 08-25-2009, 12:32 PM
bigcountry

I have always swore by bare shaft, but it recently let me down. I was bare shaft tuning a guardian. And had it good. But then when I BH tuned, I was way off. Which honestly means I am trying to make an arrow act weaker than it can or my cam lean(which i sent back to bowtech for) is still too bad. (I think) With a compound with a release only ossilations should be in a vertical direction. Where with fingers, both can happen. If a person has torquing issues, you of course get ossiclations in the horizontial.

If one persons shots are hitting to the left, and another to the right, then somebody is torquing the bow. Or one is not holding like the other.

The problem with bareshaft tuning what I notice is grip has to be consistent and a grip that is impossible to torque.

In all honesty its meant for archers paradox with finger shooters. I just started using for compounds. And think it is only valid with zero cam lean at full draw or rest.

I have broke too many arrows trying it at 40 yards. I only attempt less than 30 yards.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:02 AM
Spike

Here is the next installment:
Using the two ACE 520's (one fletched, one unfletched) and shooting at 18M (using both my Quantum and Xcellerator):
I have tried moving my launcher sideways to see what that did to the location of the bare shaft compared to the fletched shaft. From the position where a paper test shows the nock coming out vertically above the point, I moved the launcher up to 2.5 mm (1/10") both in and out (which is a substantial amount).
As I moved the launcher the fletched shaft moved to the side as expected.
For the launcher up to 2.5 mm further out the bare shaft hit the same place as the fletched shaft - I could tell no difference.
As the launcher moved in by up to 2.5 mm it seemed to me that the bare shaft hit a little to the left of the fletched shaft - but the difference was no more than 25 mm even with the launcher the full 2.5 mm in.
Hence, it seems like a very insensitive test of launcher position (at least for this bow and arrow combination).
About the only rationale I can think of at present is that the arrow velocity is sufficiently high (290 ft/sec) that the shaft area itself is sufficient to keep the arrow going reasonably straight.
I will do some more experimenting (and thinking about it).
Old 11-25-2009, 08:33 PM
Fork Horn

Thumbs up bare shaft tuning should be done...

on the ground shooting the arrow parallel to the ground. thats the only way to see whats up.