Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
new string new problems >

new string new problems

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

new string new problems

Old 10-24-2009, 08:01 AM
Typical Buck

Default new string new problems

I thought my string creep problems and drop in poundage would go away with a new vaportrail string but it didn't.
After we twisted the new cables I had 58# but then the string touched the cables on the cams.
So I twisted the string to the point where it bit into the rubber stopper of my 82nd airborne ( I am using the flat rubbers from bowjax )

I checked ATA again and was about 1/4 inch too short.
I untwisted cables and strings untill ATA was right and there was about 1mm between the cables and the string.
And now she has only 54# DW left.
How can a 1 year old 60# bow drop to 54# ?

Will this be enough to kill quickly ?
I'm shooting 125gr slick trick magnums, total arrow weight is 439gr.

F.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

what kinda bow ya shootin? maybe ur string stretched a lil....mine never has, i am aware of anywaz, maybe a lil time at the pro shop will educate ya a lil better.wish i could help but will keep trak of this post to see the final outcome.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:42 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by m9a9g9i9c
I thought my string creep problems and drop in poundage would go away with a new vaportrail string but it didn't.
After we twisted the new cables I had 58# but then the string touched the cables on the cams.
So I twisted the string to the point where it bit into the rubber stopper of my 82nd airborne ( I am using the flat rubbers from bowjax )

I checked ATA again and was about 1/4 inch too short.
I untwisted cables and strings untill ATA was right and there was about 1mm between the cables and the string.
And now she has only 54# DW left.
How can a 1 year old 60# bow drop to 54# ?

Will this be enough to kill quickly ?
I'm shooting 125gr slick trick magnums, total arrow weight is 439gr.

F.
Sure it will kill. I just killed a doe with 170fps longbow. But you got a problem. A one year old bow should not do this. Is your tech stretching out the string and measuring? Either your cable length has to be the "rule" or your string and then adjust one or the other to meet correct ATA.

YOu can lengthen your string and tighten your cables to keep the same ATA but raise draw pounds.

Sounds like you need to go back to the basics. So you lost all this wieght before with the old cables strings?

Old 10-25-2009, 03:46 AM
Typical Buck

Ok,

I have 4 factors that should get resolved in this order, ATA, distance between string and stopper, distance between string and cable attachments and poundage.
I shot my airborne today with ATA correct at 54#, she shoots great but she's a little noisy because of the string slapping into the rubber stopper. There is a slight angle where the string touches the rubber stopper, so no good.
The cables are where they should be, less than 1mm between the cable attachements and the string, so ok.
If I lengthen the string and twist the cables the string touches the cable attachements again, I tried that.
To move the string back outwards and get more poundage I should twist the string more or less ? How many twiste can you put on a bowstring ?

F.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:39 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by m9a9g9i9c
Ok,

I have 4 factors that should get resolved in this order, ATA, distance between string and stopper, distance between string and cable attachments and poundage.
I shot my airborne today with ATA correct at 54#, she shoots great but she's a little noisy because of the string slapping into the rubber stopper. There is a slight angle where the string touches the rubber stopper, so no good.
The cables are where they should be, less than 1mm between the cable attachements and the string, so ok.
If I lengthen the string and twist the cables the string touches the cable attachements again, I tried that.
To move the string back outwards and get more poundage I should twist the string more or less ? How many twiste can you put on a bowstring ?

F.
Here's teh rule. Shorten the string reduce poundage. Lengthen the string increase Shorten cables, increase poundage, and vise versa.

Old 10-25-2009, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I will say again that I believe there are two kinds of strings in this world... winners choice.... and everything else.

That said..... I still have no idea what the heck you are talking about when you are saying your cables are hitting your string???? I've worked on a lot of bows in my life.... but I simply cannot picture what you are describing.

Also.... are you positive that your bow was every really hitting 60#s? Most will hit about 3-4 # over.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:29 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by SwampCollie
I will say again that I believe there are two kinds of strings in this world... winners choice.... and everything else.

That said..... I still have no idea what the heck you are talking about when you are saying your cables are hitting your string???? I've worked on a lot of bows in my life.... but I simply cannot picture what you are describing.

Also.... are you positive that your bow was every really hitting 60#s? Most will hit about 3-4 # over.
Swampcollie,
what I'm trying to say is on the cams, where the cables are hooked, the string runs over the hook with the cables attached to them, Normal position would be a 1mm between the string and the hooked cable, which they are. When I had 58# the string was touching and being bent over the cablehook.
if this doesn't do it, I'll try and post a pic tonight.

F.
Old 11-26-2009, 02:01 AM
Spike

You shouldn’t be concerned about it—unless you profiled your application and have determined the String creation to be the exact source of your problem.

If you find out that the String creation is the source of your problem I would recommend what Jon Skeet proposed, i.e. a mapping from byte[] to String. That has about the same effect as interning your Strings while not hogging up valuable memory until you restart the VM.

Old 11-26-2009, 05:13 AM
Fork Horn

I set up youth and womens bows with less poundage and they shoot bear and deer the same. Get the right arrow and foc for the bh! If I read it right the cable is on a different track on the cam and should not be touching your string. Did you install the string and cables correctly? The first post I would have said the limb might be broken/cracked?! now I'm not sure what you have. But just to be on the safe side, take a cotton swab to your limbs, just to make sure that none are cracked, Bowtech did have a little problem there. Second, have someone shoot a picture of how the cable/string should be on the cam and send it to you or post it.
Old 11-26-2009, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Take the string and cable back off and compare to your string that came with the bow, see if they are the same length. If they are not go back to your original string/cable setup. If they are the same it sounds like you had too much or not enough twists in the cable/string combination.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.