Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Question about being "slapped on the arm"??? >

Question about being "slapped on the arm"???

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Question about being "slapped on the arm"???

Old 08-24-2009, 08:23 AM
Typical Buck

Default Question about being "slapped on the arm"???

Question regarding being slapped on the forearm with bow string. Can being slapped close to the wrist area of your left arm be an indication that your string has stretched over the years? My cousin was shooting his bow this weekend and feels that when he does get the occasional “slap on the arm” from his bow, the mark was usually further back towards the middle of the forearm. Now when he gets slapped, its close to his wrist area. The theory of the string stretching over the years sounds logical but I cant honestly say that I know if that’s causing where his string hits him. Improper mechanics within him? He is shooting a PSE bow that he has had for many years and hasn’t had the string changed within the last 5 years. Any insight would be helpful.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:36 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by The Outdoorsman
Question regarding being slapped on the forearm with bow string. Can being slapped close to the wrist area of your left arm be an indication that your string has stretched over the years? My cousin was shooting his bow this weekend and feels that when he does get the occasional “slap on the arm” from his bow, the mark was usually further back towards the middle of the forearm. Now when he gets slapped, its close to his wrist area. The theory of the string stretching over the years sounds logical but I cant honestly say that I know if that’s causing where his string hits him. Improper mechanics within him? He is shooting a PSE bow that he has had for many years and hasn’t had the string changed within the last 5 years. Any insight would be helpful.
Bad form, overbowed, elbow in too much. I don't care if you shoot a 5" Braced bow or a 8", if your getting slapped in the wrist, your holding the bow wrong. Usual culprit is the bow is too stout for the shooter, and the shooter feels the need to heel the grip to control the bow.

Easy way to hold the bow. Reach your arm out to your left side and point. Notice the natural position of your hand. This is way the bow should lay in you hand. Its impossible to hit your wrist. Maybe your forearm, but not your wrist.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with bigcountry, but would like to add a few things. Answering your original question, the answer is YES. The string creeping over the years could be causing some of the problems. Usually arm slapping is due to what he said, too much bow and/or hand position. It can also be a symptom of too long a draw.

The thing is, all of these could be caused by the string
stretching". As the string creeps the draw length gets longer and the weight goes up, both of which can cause bad changes to shooting form.

It's easy enough to measure things and find out if this is the problem. Measure the A2A and brace height to see how they compare to factory advertised specs. If the string has crept appreciable then the A2A will be long and the brace height will be low.

And I would note that 5 years is too long on strings if the bow is shot much. Especially if they are PSE factory strings.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:12 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks guys, I will let him know.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:27 AM
Spike

His grip is wrong. The back of the grip is more than likely in more in the center of his palm than it is at the base of his thumb where it should be. Hand should be relaxed and fingers at a 45* to the riser. Here is a very good grip video along with some pics.

Video:
http://www.bowtube.com/media/6/Get_A_Grip/
Attached Thumbnails Question about being "slapped on the arm"???-arightgrip.jpg   Question about being "slapped on the arm"???-hand-grip.jpg  

Last edited by flybub; 08-25-2009 at 09:30 AM.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

I dont think hes over bowed im thinking more in the lines of torquing the bow or his draw is too long.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

String slap often indicates that the the draw length is too long. It could be a form issue too, but I'd double check draw length.