Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Nock and insert help >

Nock and insert help

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Nock and insert help

Old 08-23-2009, 06:33 AM
Spike

Default Nock and insert help

This may be a stupid ? but how do you get nocks out that are glued in and whats the best way to get inserts out to replace them..One of my inserts got bent and i need to replace a few nocks that no longer fit as tight as i would like them to be on my string...
Old 08-23-2009, 06:56 AM
Typical Buck

i dont think you are getting the nock or insert out if its glued in the shaft.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:17 AM
Fork Horn

Depends if they are aluminum or carbon. Carbon arrow nocks are typically a friction fit so they just pull out. You can try and take a pair of pliers and pinch the ears on the nock sometimes that does the trick to tighten the fit to your string. Inserts in carbon are almost impossible to get out depending on the type of glue used sometimes you can heat them a little and you can pull them out (use a field point to give you something to grab onto.) Most the time you end up breaking the shaft when doing this. I know it sucks but unless you have enough shaft to cut behind the insert and glue a new one in you're better off (safety sake) to just junk the arrow. Aluminum uses hot glue a lot of the time so you have more of a chance heating them to get components out of the shaft. Just don't go crazy with the heat.....you can ruin them that way too. Good luck!!
Old 08-23-2009, 07:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Good reason to NEVER glue in a knock. You can heat the insert a little and see if it will twist. It's not a good idea to put direct heat on the a carbon arrow.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Put a field point in your insert, even if you can only get half a turn or so on the thing... metal will conduct the heat.

Avoid directly heating (espeically with a torch) your carbon arrow.... apply the heat to the field point itself. Grab onto the field point and she should eventually come out. Sometimes you will tear an arrow up beyond repair, but with some practice I've gotten pretty good at it. I like to cut at least 1/4" off the insert end after doing this as a precaution. You should NOT glue your nocks in carbon arrows or even aluminums with uni-bushings.

Remember this well though.... if there is ANY doubt about the integrity of the shaft... throw it out..... do NOT take that risk.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:41 AM
Spike

thanks for all the input guys