Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Ways to fletch a arrow >

Ways to fletch a arrow

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Ways to fletch a arrow

Old 08-23-2009, 05:45 AM
Spike

Default Ways to fletch a arrow

Hi my name is Ben and I am kinda new to this site. I shoot a AlphaMax 32 and I have Carbon Express 350 Arrows with Blazer 2 in. vanes. I shoot the Slick Trick Mag. I have found in the past that I get a whistel out of these broadheads when I shoot them. I was told to try to refletch my arrows with a straight fletch. I have a right helicoil to them now. I was wondering if this will work or if there is another way I should fletch them. i.e. 90 degree or 75 120. Or just stick with the three fletch and offset a straight. Any help would be great. Thanks for your time.

Ben
Old 08-23-2009, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Only a world class idiot would use straight fletch with BH's.Straight's ok I guess for target/field points but stay with helical for hunting arrows.A little whistle is no big deal.The deer will react to the shot noise long before he hears the head or fletching sound headed his way.Just aim a little low to compensate for his drop at the shot and you'll be fine.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:01 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Bernie P.
Only a world class idiot would use straight fletch with BH's.Straight's ok I guess for target/field points but stay with helical for hunting arrows.A little whistle is no big deal.The deer will react to the shot noise long before he hears the head or fletching sound headed his way.Just aim a little low to compensate for his drop at the shot and you'll be fine.
x2-stay with the helical.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:09 AM
Spike

I guess I was wondering if you have tried a 4 fletch. Even if I did straight fletch these arrows I was going to offset them. So it would give them some spin. I have noticed that I can't get much helicoil with the blazers anyway so a offset may be the way to go. Any further info would be great.
thanks
Ben
Old 08-23-2009, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I tried 4 fletch with my trad bows but not a compound.It worked fine but I still used helical.I think your best bet would be to use 4 offset if you're dead set on any type vanes and not willing to go helical or feathers.There seems to be a trend these days to use smaller fletching with less helical.IMO a big mistake.The arrow is 10x more important than the bow yet folks seem determined to sqeak by with as little as possible.That just doesn't make sense to me.I go the other way-3 5" full helical.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:42 AM
Spike

I guess I didn't tell ya that my set up right now is a three vane blazer with right helical. I am right now getting the noise out of my BH. That is why I am wondering about another way to fletch the arrow. I was told that the arrow may be spinning too much that is why the bleeders on the Bh are making noise. I am not stuck on any type or brand of fletch I was just wondering if there was something that I could do with the stuff that I have at my house. If I HAVE to go and buy new stuff that is fine I would just like if anyone had this problem to know what they did to fix it.

Thank you
Ben