Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Peep sight/string loop/aiming? >

Peep sight/string loop/aiming?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Peep sight/string loop/aiming?

Old 08-09-2009, 06:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Peep sight/string loop/aiming?

I was watching Bowhunter on tv yesterday.Randy Ulmer did a segment on peep sights discussing an idea he got from Dave Holt..He advocates using a peep with a small opening for greater accuracy.In low light when he cant see through the peep he uses the loop formed just below the peep instead.When doing so he uses the next lower pin to compensate for the difference.Anybody else doing this?Seems like a pretty good idea getting the best of both worlds.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Seems like a bunch of crap to have to remember. Just use a large diameter peep and align it with your pin guard instead of your pin.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't like that ideal at all. If an animal is coming in on me, I have enough to think about. I don't want to be thinking about compensating, theres other important things to think about if your in the process of pulling back on an animal.

Bobby
Old 08-09-2009, 11:59 PM
Spike

I have to agree totally, but then again, I never used a peep for hunting at all. I came up with my own aiming system that was very accurate and had a completely open field of view.

I used multiple anchor points. First was a small FITA kisser at my eye tooth notch...not the wobbly corner of my mouth which is a terrible reference point. The distance between the corner of the mouth and eye can be manipulated up to the point of "Missed Bad" by just how you hold your mouth. The distance between the eye and tooth never change. Then I had a small wrapped floss spot on the string that I touched the tip of my nose to. Then of course is the thumb behind the neck and the knuckle on the point of the jaw. That all in place, I looked around the string to the bow side. This makes an A-line or ^ in your peripheral vision of the string on the left and the upper limb on the right (right handed shooter, opposite for lefties) Now I placed the sting side of the ^ against my pin guard or outside of my "scope" on the newer round sight bodies.

This aligned everything....and of course I had a level in my sight. It was just as accurate, or more, than a peep and you can shoot both eyes open and no worries with low light using a good wrapped fiberoptic sight. With this set up you can shoot till you can't make out deer any longer....I know!

Give this a try. Once you get it down and it is your form, you never have to worry about all the peep issues ever again. Just Hunt!!!
Old 08-10-2009, 12:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigbulls
Seems like a bunch of crap to have to remember. Just use a large diameter peep and align it with your pin guard instead of your pin.
I agree with getting the right sized peep to align right with your pin housing rather than focus being on th specific pin. Though I know guys that do both and shoot well, I find I'm more consistent aligning the peep on the housing.

Originally Posted by 121553
I don't like that ideal at all. If an animal is coming in on me, I have enough to think about. I don't want to be thinking about compensating, theres other important things to think about if your in the process of pulling back on an animal.

Bobby
Agreed, PLUS it would seem as if it would change your anchor ever so slightly. I may tinker with it just to see if it is effective.