Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Draw Length Problems >

Draw Length Problems

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Draw Length Problems

Old 07-27-2009, 01:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default Draw Length Problems

Today,I was shooting my bow which I havent shot in a while it was shooting wildly all across the target.I think it might be my draw length.But, I am not sure. Any suggestions on what it might be?
Old 07-27-2009, 02:05 PM
ASK
Spike

Maybe draw length or string should change.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by fishintay
Today,I was shooting my bow which I havent shot in a while it was shooting wildly all across the target.I think it might be my draw length.But, I am not sure. Any suggestions on what it might be?

Its probably just you. If you haven't shot in a while... maybe thats why you are all over the place. I wouldn't be so quick to blame anything equipment wise just yet. When you are certain you are shooting good... then you can diagnose issues. If you feel over extended or cramped... then sure your draw may need to change. But that isn't why you are all over the place.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:16 PM
Spike

Left and right misses are very common if you haven't shot in a while or are new. They are muscle memory issues and follow-thru problems. Up and down is more often equipment issues.

But SwampCollie put one in the XRing. Get practiced up. 15-20 arrows is enough. Rest a while and try again. Don't get worn out and slinging arrows all over. That is causing poor technique through poor practice. Once you get dialed in, then you can worry about draw length.

Lets assume you are ready to look at draw length. Is the bow new? Was there a problem with draw length before now? What makes you think there is an issue with the draw length?

What is your anchor point? or Points?

Take your time here. DON'T GO CHANGING ANYTHING YET!!!
Old 07-28-2009, 03:28 PM
Fork Horn

I took it to my local archery shop and found the problem .The biscut on my whisker biscut was weak and needed replaced because I have shot the same biscut for 4 years straight.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:51 AM
Spike

Glad you got it fixed. Once you rule out form the rest is next.

Always wondered how long they would last....now I have an idea.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

This sounds like a form issue, not an equipment issue. Possible that the DL is too long and youre leaning back. Your head, neck, back and depending on which hand you shoot with, right or left leg should be in an almost perfect line up and down. Also if youre shooting with a release, dont use your finger tip to pull the trigger, if youre doing this, youre "timing" your shot. You should be suprised at the release and your shooting arm should come back on its own. Also keep your bowhand relaxed, with the fingers slightly touching. this way you wont torque the bow. I would work on your form first and then see if things improve. My bet is, they will.