Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Target Panic?

Old 05-09-2003, 01:38 PM

Default RE: Target Panic?

Blind bailing has really help me alot. I do it before every practice session. I stand about 10 feet from the target, close my eyes after I get all lined up and " FEEL" the shot. It is amazing how much you can feel with you eyes closed.

ONce I start shooting at further distances, I concentrated on that relaxed feel on every shot. I take my time and try to execute every shot with the same feel as the blind bailing. If I notice myself tensing up and punching the trigger.....I just go back a blind bail a couple of shots.

Don' t worry so much about hitting a spot. just shoot for the middle of the taget for a while. Relax and let the pin settle where ever it wants. Concentrate on the release.

Worked for me. Hope you figure it out. One of the hardest things I ever did in archery was to break the target panic habits.
Old 05-09-2003, 10:24 PM
Dominant Buck

I don' t have the right area for blind baling
That has to be the lazy way of avoiding work. There is no quick fix or sure fix for the problem, but your statement about not having the right area is wrong. It can and probably should be done in the garage or basement. You only stand 8 or 10 feet from the target and do it for weeks before going to a target. It works. Been there/done that for a couple months.
Old 05-11-2003, 08:03 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-11-2003, 08:21 PM

One thing I' ll mention that I' ve never heard about before is eye dominance. Take it from MY personal experience that using the non-dominant eye will definitely affect your mental state which subsequently can affect your shot (ie. target panic).

Because of this, in my shop we now make it a point to check eye dominance as much as possible. It' s amazing as to how many people are shooting with the wrong eye.

When I go back to shooting right-handed, the target panic pops up quite often
Old 05-12-2003, 09:13 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-12-2003, 08:48 PM

Jim:

That may be true for your friend and a lot of people who switch. My switch was done because I really couldn' t see the pins or target very well with my bad right eye. I switched and have not had anything I could remotely call target panic since the switch. I used to get it all the time shooting right-handed; and, when I go back to shooting right-handed occasionally, I get it again.

I only mentioned it because I know it is possible for eye dominance to have a very negative affect on you ' mental' attitude.
Old 05-13-2003, 10:52 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-13-2003, 05:53 PM

Davidmil, where I live is not the right place for blind baling. I have a garage but unlike most it was not built completely out of brick and the soft sheets of wood just don' t like to stop an arrow and I don' t like to replace vinyl siding if I can keep from it. As far as avoiding work, I have NEVER started to avoid any work. So, before you start saying things you have no idea about, think twice. Chris
Old 05-16-2003, 06:15 PM

RidgeRunr, all of these guys got good ideas and proven remedies. But thing that was touched on but not covered in depth, talking your way through the shot. That is to say that when you go to draw, you must talk your self through every single step involved. From the time you start to draw, till the time the arrow is going through the target. I like the breathing Arthur P mentioned. And what JDoyle said about letting down. All, all very good advice and very true advice! But just talk your self through, " smooth steady draw, elbow slightly bent, relaxed grip, calm down, back tension(if used), breath control, clear point, blury target, relax, smoooth steaaady squeeze, sights, follow through," Get the picture? Practice slow and before you know, along with what else has been said, you' ll be in the bull! Good Luck![8D]
Old 05-16-2003, 07:53 PM

To all that have helped: I have started the controlled breathing, talking my way through the shot, and shooting at a blank target. Not blind baling because I am afraid of putting another arrow through my garage. the last one just missed my truck. Today I moved outside for the first time in 2 weeks and it seemed pretty natural following the steps I have made for myself. Deep breath(to calm a little), nock an arrow, check peep for right rotation, grip, draw with slight bend and squared shoulders, anchor, sight, HOLD IT, squeeze shoulder, and release. I know it seems long but it really only takes about 30 to 45 seconds. this is working for me right now and I hope it keeps up. Thanks to all for the advice and encouragement to get back on track. Chris

Quick Reply: Target Panic?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.