Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Thinking of using crazy glue for vanes >

Thinking of using crazy glue for vanes

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Thinking of using crazy glue for vanes

Old 05-07-2009, 05:15 AM
bigcountry

Default Thinking of using crazy glue for vanes

I heard some use it. Wanted to know your experience. I have used litterly every type archery glue for vanes. I like AAE gel, goat, bohning gel and others. But my problem is shelf life sucks and we are all getting ripped off on the price.

I see crazy glue sells these small one time use glue packs, and figured that would be the cats meow.

Anyone else change.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Thinking of using crazy glue for vanes

I use fletch-tite platinum and it seems to last, I think that its because of the aluminum tube. A buddy of mine uses goat-tuff and it goes bad on him, I think its because the bottle lets air in and the aluminum tube doesn't.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:21 AM
Typical Buck

I use Krazy Glue Advanced formula for feathers and vanes. I use Gorilla Glue's Super Glue (not their regular Gorilla Glue) for inserts as it has rubber particles suspended in it for impact resistance. Both are usually cheaper than the "archery brand" glues and actually work better IMO. I even use the Gorilla Super Glue to glue on Bowfishing points. NEVER had one come off.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:36 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Centaur 1

I use fletch-tite platinum and it seems to last, I think that its because of the aluminum tube. A buddy of mine uses goat-tuff and it goes bad on him, I think its because the bottle lets air in and the aluminum tube doesn't.
I have a tube. I never had good luck with it.Especially with stiff vanes. Still have the stuff. Its old school rubber cement. Great on aluminums.It was the reason I switched to goat-tuff. Then to AAE fastgel, on and on.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Super Glue is pretty much exactly what Norway sends out with their vanes.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

All of the instants sold by archery manufacturers are cyanoacrylate (see below) Super/Crazy Glue is just the original. The only issue sometimes with "regular" super glues are the bond is brittle, its too loose (consistency), and hazes up.- there are of course some different formulas these days to address these issues. But when instants first appeared in the Archery industry it was just your basic super glue in a different branded tube.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanoacrylate
Old 05-07-2009, 10:37 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: JeffB

All of the instants sold by archery manufacturers are cyanoacrylate (see below) Super/Crazy Glue is just the original. The only issue sometimes with "regular" super glues are the bond is brittle, its too loose (consistency), and hazes up.- there are of course some different formulas these days to address these issues. But when instants first appeared in the Archery industry it was just your basic super glue in a different branded tube.

Thats the reason I am asking the question here, to find out if others have tried and found them to be just as reliable as far as brittlenes.

So have you used the standard krazy glue, etc???

Old 05-07-2009, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

The only time I have found the brittleness to be an issue is when I used the glue on my inserts. After they pound into the target a lot the inserts would get loose if I was lucky or they would come out in the target if I was unlucky. I never had a problem with the brittleness affecting the vanes.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:50 AM
Typical Buck

I used Goat Tuff for a while, but like you said, I got tired of paying that much for it and then getting it out and losing half the bottle because it dried up. About 3 yrs. ago I was watching The Wild Outdoors and Jay Gregory's Tech Tip was to use the Loc Tite Super glue. I tried it and have been using it ever since. About $3.00 for a bottle at Wal Mart. I think it is great. Dies real fast. I have fletched an arrow and took it within a few minutes and shot it with no problems. It holds great, flows nice and I ahve never had it dry up in the bottle. I use the regular type. I tried the gel once and didn't like it as well.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

ORIGINAL: JeffB

Thats the reason I am asking the question here, to find out if others have tried and found them to be just as reliable as far as brittlenes.

So have you used the standard krazy glue, etc???
Yup, I have, years ago and had the issues with brittleness (if you shot a group, often a hard shaft hit, and not just a vane hit would cause the vane to come off iin part at the base)

I don't know about the loc-tite brand mentioned above by Proff, but I have heard good things about it. I just bought a good sized bottle of beyond bond, which is the best instant I've used so far, so it will be awhile before I try the loc-tite.

Quick Reply: Thinking of using crazy glue for vanes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.