Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Thinking of using crazy glue for vanes >

Thinking of using crazy glue for vanes

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Thinking of using crazy glue for vanes

Old 05-07-2009, 06:07 PM

Default RE: Thinking of using crazy glue for vanes

Super glue gel works good.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:39 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: JeffB

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

ORIGINAL: JeffB

All of the instants sold by archery manufacturers are cyanoacrylate (see below) Super/Crazy Glue is just the original. The only issue sometimes with "regular" super glues are the bond is brittle, its too loose (consistency), and hazes up.- there are of course some different formulas these days to address these issues. But when instants first appeared in the Archery industry it was just your basic super glue in a different branded tube.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanoacrylate
Thats the reason I am asking the question here, to find out if others have tried and found them to be just as reliable as far as brittlenes.

So have you used the standard krazy glue, etc???
Yup, I have, years ago and had the issues with brittleness (if you shot a group, often a hard shaft hit, and not just a vane hit would cause the vane to come off iin part at the base)

I don't know about the loc-tite brand mentioned above by Proff, but I have heard good things about it. I just bought a good sized bottle of beyond bond, which is the best instant I've used so far, so it will be awhile before I try the loc-tite.
Thanks. Sounds typical of the archery glues too I have seen.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:43 PM
Typical Buck

I love the Loctite Gel. I dab spots on the vane then run the tip along the vane to spread it evenly. Works like a charm and I've never had a problem with loose vanes. I've been using it for the past two yrs. The applicator tip is perfect for fine work like gluing vanes. I also use it on inserts. So far so good. I used to be a died in the wool Goatuff guy but damn that stuff is expensive.

Dan
Old 05-08-2009, 03:31 AM
bigcountry

I have to admit, I am having good shelf life out of steelforce beyond bond glue. I have had the same glue bottle for over a year, stored it in cool area. And out of all the glues I have its the only one still good.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yup, the SF Beyond Bond stuff is darn good-it's not cheap, but certainly not as expensive as some others, and better than most regardless of price!

Old 05-08-2009, 01:35 PM
Typical Buck

Hey JeffB, I was just wondering bout something. I see Adrian Smith everytime I see your posts, are you a Maiden man also? Best metal band ever in my book. I saw them many, manytimes in my younger days! The first time was their firstUS tour, and also the weirdest band set I have ever seen. First Maiden opened up( Number of the Beastwas just released), then Rainbow ( with Jo Lynn Turner singing0 and then the headliner.... 38Special. All great bands, but 3 very different styles!! On the Powerslave tour ( I was in college at Toledo University then), I saw them in Toledo ( Toledo Sports Center)on a tues night, in Detroit ( Cobo Hall) on wed. and then in Kalamzoo on friday. All 3 shows I was right in the front row in front of Dave Murray. Buddy, I honestly coudn't hear until about tues. or wed. the next week. Then the next weekend saw Saxon open for the Crue at Fox Theatre in Detroit ( Shout tour). Also an awesome show. Man were those the good old days. 2 or 3 great bands onstage for $13.50!!!! Man have things changed!Up the Irons!!!
Old 05-08-2009, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don!t get me started about Maiden, Bro- HUGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE fan (pre Jannick Gers, anyways). I play guitar And Adrian is one of my biggest influences (hence the avatar, ) Saw them on the Powerslave Tour in Largo MD (Capital Center). I couldn't make the NOB show or POM previously But I remember the billing with 38 special and Rainbow (I'm a huge Blackmore fan too)- Although I like all 3 bands, that was a horrible match up (and I can guarantee Maiden's stage stage show blew them both out of the water. JLT era-rainbow while decent, was pretty tame compare to the RJD era stuff..or even Graham Bonnet!)

But I digress...I could talk Maiden for hours!
Old 05-08-2009, 07:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have used super glue gels and it holds as well as any vane glue you can buy,problem is it gets brittle over time just like the archery glues.

The Fletch tite platinum is hard to beat for shelf life and it doesn't get brittle as quick as super glues but even it won't last as long as the original Fletch tite when on the shaft.

Not sure what problems you have experienced with platinum but I have experienced no issues.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:13 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: TFOX

I have used super glue gels and it holds as well as any vane glue you can buy,problem is it gets brittle over time just like the archery glues.

The Fletch tite platinum is hard to beat for shelf life and it doesn't get brittle as quick as super glues but even it won't last as long as the original Fletch tite when on the shaft.

Not sure what problems you have experienced with platinum but I have experienced no issues.
Hmm, I might have to revisit it. Last time I used it, I used it on some quick spins right when they came out. They were very stiff, and the vanes just fell off. I still got the tube but that was bought years ago. I am not sure if its still good to give it a fair shake.

Old 05-09-2009, 03:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mfd1027

I love the Loctite Gel.

Dan
This is what I use. It comes in a blue/black container. The applicator is superior and the glue works as well as anything. Price should be less then half of regular vane glue.

Quick Reply: Thinking of using crazy glue for vanes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.