HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Off the string or loop (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/29311-off-string-loop.html)

jag-mag 04-29-2003 07:19 PM

Off the string or loop

Do you shoot off the string or with a loop set up? I,m getting a new bow and been
thinking about seting up with a string loop, have always shot off the string. Would
I gain anything besides a few ft per second?

bigbulls 04-29-2003 07:48 PM

RE: Off the string or loop

You would gain accuracy, less serving wear, less noise, you can let your arrow down w/o worrying about it falling off the string, easier to tune since you don' t have to use plyers to move the nock just twist the loop around the string. The only downside is that you will loose about 1/2" of draw length. There are other benefits but they escape me right now.

W. Dale 04-29-2003 08:23 PM

I use a string loop......I have nothing but good say...I know of no negative points..
They' re like a Timex..." They take a licking and keep on ticking"

Lady Forge 04-29-2003 09:54 PM

I just put a string loop on my Stone Mountain Daqota PreStreched String 2 nights ago and so far I have nothing but good things to say about it.I do see an increase in acuracy, less nock pinch and less string torque.It was pretty easy to learn to tie one on myself. So far so good.;)

5 shot 04-30-2003 03:23 AM

I was slow to move to a loop, but I will say that I will not shoot without one now! It is just more forgiving, easier on your serving, and just makes life better. Well, maybe it doesn' t make life better, but it sure makes your bow shoot better with less wear and tear on your serving.

DaveC 04-30-2003 04:10 AM

Surprised no one has mentioned peep alignment yet.
Evidently not all strings (just the ones on my last 4 bows) can accomplish this. But I have had great luck with using the string loop to align my peep sight to come to the eye perfectly, shot after shot. This allows you to loose the rubber tubing and go to a peep that doesn' t have a 3rd strand in the way to look around.

I have also noticed very little as far as loss in draw length. I install my loops, shoot the bow a couple dozen times, and then reshorten the loop to just allow the jaws of the release to fit behind the arrows knock. You can also ajust your release to a shorter arm to make up for the difference.

PABowhntr 04-30-2003 12:28 PM

After being a long time " shooting off the string" proponent (without any ill effects I might add) I was finally talked into a string loop. Not an ordinary string loop setup either mind you but one set up below the nock of the arrow. Seems to work well enough...I have no complaints. :)

~DREW~ 04-30-2003 01:58 PM

PAbowhunter -

just a question of curiousity. why would you put your string loop below your arrow nocking point?

I have also used a string loop for years now and only can say good things about them. i would never shoot with out one.

PABowhntr 05-01-2003 05:02 AM

Supposedly, the low loop helps compensate for the less than perfect nock travel effects (in terms of forgiveness) of traditional single cam bows. Truthfully, I have noticed a slight increase in accuracy with this setup so there may be something to it. There were/are some other variables involved in my case but I am not willing to switch back just yet. ;)

Fletchead 05-01-2003 08:11 PM

PA, your not using a dropaway with that are you.