Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Help the Newbie? >

Help the Newbie?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Help the Newbie?

Old 04-06-2009, 03:29 PM

Default Help the Newbie?

Hello,

After a long hiatus I've decided to get back into archery in a big way. I've got a new bow and have it rigged out.I now need some advice on my arrows and I'm hoping for some constructive feedback. Here's what I have already:

2007 BowtechTribute - 67lbs
Whisker Biscuit
Sword Acu-Site

Here are the arrows I'm looking at:

Easton Axis FMJ 340
28.75" (shaft only)
Slick Trick 125 Standard
Blazers or feathers, helical or offset.
Total Arrow Weight: 491 grains
FOC: ~11%

I will be hunting elk mostly with mule deer and bear thrown in occasionally. I want an arrow with very good penetration. I've tossed around the idea of moving back to a 100 grain Slick Trick which would bring my weight down to 466 grains. I'm shooting the FMJ's now with field points and they seem to fly pretty well with the stock 4" plastic straight vanes.

Does anyone see any major problems with the arrow setup I'm proposing. Any thoughts on feathers versus blazers? Any suggestions at all?

Thanks!
Don
Old 04-06-2009, 03:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Help the Newbie?

I would go for a little more FOC myself, 12-15%, and that would pull your weight up just a touch which wouldn't be a bad thing.

I prefer feathers but blazers are good too.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

i shot a easton epis. it is only abot 388 becasue i use 100 grain tip and have killed a elk easly with it
Old 04-07-2009, 02:16 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

That should do it. Very similar to my setup except I use the ST mags. Haven't shot and elk but penetration hasn't been an issue on WT's. Pass throughs on several. Antelope as well but they are like shooting through tissue paper.

I use Blazer's on mine fletched helical. I wanted to try them when they came out. They shoot the same for me as the Quick spins and regular 4 inche vanes did. They are very durable which is a plus. Smaller so less likely to knick them up shooting groups. As far as improving accuracy, I didn't see a difference.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I see nothing wrong with your setup. Lots of guys are shooting lighter arrows for more speed. If you are concerned mostly with penetration, your setup sounds like it should work very well. I think I would use the 125 gr. heads, rather than the 100s with that arrow. The bow should be whisper quiet shooting that arrow weight. As far as fletching, feathers would up your FOC, and work well with the whisker biscuit, if you can keep them dry somehow. I switched from feathers because of so many wet hunting days around here. When I used to shoot feathers through the WB, I got a cloud of silicon powder in my face when shooting. Not fun. Blazers work well, as do Vanetecs, which are easier to fletch (for me). I am currently using Quickspin ST hunter vanes, and they work very well with broadheads.