Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Initial Impressions of Victory arrows >

Initial Impressions of Victory arrows

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Initial Impressions of Victory arrows

Old 03-27-2009, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Initial Impressions of Victory arrows

My half dozen V1 Vforces arrived a bit ago- wehavearrows.com was great! Super fast shipping and Mike Lundeen quickly answered all my questions. Great service.

Initial impressions of the arrows-

1- Finish is "meh"- smooth, but unpolished and streaky/wavy- reminds me of the original goldtips. Outer finish on current Goldtip, Easton/Beman, CX, etc is much better.

2) DIRTY- insides are full of carbon residue-worst I've ever seen. Jeez, how about cleaning these things out a bit better? It will def makes the weights wacky, especially if they are being matched with this crap in it- some have lots some have a little.

3) Component fit- again, meh

Don't know if this was done by Wehavearrows or Victory themselves, but nock fit is sloppy and there was plastic "film" used on the nock as it was pushed in to make the nock fit tighter. I used to do this with scotch tape back when nearly all of the carbons had crappy inside diameter tolerances. After taking the film out, all of the nock were loose- I tried brand new extra nocks I had ordered and fit was still hit or miss. Some rotated too easily, some were stiff as could be.

Inserts have the same issue as well- I took one single insert and tried it in all shafts at both ends- tighter on some, loosey goosey on others, often loose on one side and tighter on the other of the same arrow. Tried all inserts on all shafts, and same issue.

Bottom line-ID tolerances seem iffy- this usually does not bode well for spine consistency.

4) Straightness is (as it should be for highest straightness grade) very good- only one arrow has a very slight wobble/runout on the nock end and is easily cut out.

So far, I'm totally unimpressed- they remind me of early production (late 90s) Goldtips (i.e. crap).

Next week I will be spine testing them and shooting them to see if thats truly the case.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Initial Impressions of Victory arrows

Thanks for the review Jeff. Doesn't bode well for those arrows. I'm holding off on a new dozen myself, can't decide what I want to try yet.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have 2 Goldtip Pro Hunters still around that survived my layoff from Archery. I used to shoot these in my Liberty-and were the best set of Goldtips I personally ever tested or owned. They have a much more uniform/polished finish without any streaks/waves compared to the Victorys.

I just found a unused Goldtip insert in my box o' stuff, and checked the fit in both of those old goldtips (one was missing an insert-never installed- the other missing the uninbushing I had installed originally) and the GT insert fit snugly in both shafts.

These Victory arrows will have to spine and shoot very well for me to bother with them after next week.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very nice review so far. I have heard much about the Victory arrows but this is probably the first serious look someone has taken at them and then reviewed them that I am aware of. The component fit is troubling for sure. I am definitely interested in hearing how they spine out. I wonder if they are dazzling us with straightness so they can BS us with spine tolerance.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff:

That does not sound good, I'd agree. The HVs (V1) set that I got last year did not have the issues you are talking about. They spined very well, just a little better than my Carbon Tech Cheetahs. I thought they shot well, but were somewhat fragile, which was not a surprise due to their light weight. If the quality has degraded that fast, it is definitely not a good thing. I guess it was good you only got a half dozen.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:55 PM
Typical Buck

I bought a half dozen myself about a month ago and my impressions just about mirror yours. Just the finish alone will keep me from buying them again. If you're a little sloppy when gluing the inserts or refletching it's as if the fiinish soaks up the glue and it will leave a stain, not really a big deal but it does look unsightly. I don't have the means to test spine tolerances so I will be standing byawaiting your results. BTW- Great review!

Dan
Old 03-28-2009, 12:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JeffB

My half dozen V1 Vforces arrived a bit ago- wehavearrows.com was great! Super fast shipping and Mike Lundeen quickly answered all my questions. Great service.

Initial impressions of the arrows-

1- Finish is "meh"- smooth, but unpolished and streaky/wavy- reminds me of the original goldtips. Outer finish on current Goldtip, Easton/Beman, CX, etc is much better.

2) DIRTY- insides are full of carbon residue-worst I've ever seen. Jeez, how about cleaning these things out a bit better? It will def makes the weights wacky, especially if they are being matched with this crap in it- some have lots some have a little.

3) Component fit- again, meh

Don't know if this was done by Wehavearrows or Victory themselves, but nock fit is sloppy and there was plastic "film" used on the nock as it was pushed in to make the nock fit tighter. I used to do this with scotch tape back when nearly all of the carbons had crappy inside diameter tolerances. After taking the film out, all of the nock were loose- I tried brand new extra nocks I had ordered and fit was still hit or miss. Some rotated too easily, some were stiff as could be.

Inserts have the same issue as well- I took one single insert and tried it in all shafts at both ends- tighter on some, loosey goosey on others, often loose on one side and tighter on the other of the same arrow. Tried all inserts on all shafts, and same issue.

Bottom line-ID tolerances seem iffy- this usually does not bode well for spine consistency.

4) Straightness is (as it should be for highest straightness grade) very good- only one arrow has a very slight wobble/runout on the nock end and is easily cut out.

So far, I'm totally unimpressed- they remind me of early production (late 90s) Goldtips (i.e. crap).

Next week I will be spine testing them and shooting them to see if thats truly the case.
That is how all of vicory's arrows are I suppose[:'(] My X-ringer HV's are the exact same way. I take a plastic sack, and push teh pin bushing in to the arrow so they will fit decent. I even used a burr tool to clean up the insides of mine when gluing the points in (cleaning stages) and ive still lost quite a few tips in foam, and those points arent cheap! 20$ a dozen, it hurts to lose one. Ive got some FatBoys coming and i expect them to be a much better arrow

BTW, they are very brittle as well. Ive seen a ton of them break where other arrows didnt. My X-ringers do fly well though, and seemed to tune good for being so light.

Good review
Derek
Old 03-28-2009, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

This seems to be the general concensus-component fit is sloppy.

Of course the thing that really matters is spine/weight/just how well they shoot. Despite my reservations- I am going to give them a fair shake. Carbon Techs aren't all that nice for the finish either but they have it where it counts (though component fit is much better on CTs)

We'll see- I am fletching up a couple to shoot Monday evening and will save the rest @ full length to see how they spine on the RAM and check weights. I had checked some V3s my shop has had sitting around for a couple of years and they were not bad- I'll see how these compare to those for consistency too ("dozen to dozen" as it were- they are the same spine)
Old 03-28-2009, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll be interested to see how they shoot and spine out. The claim is that is their strong suit. I've also heard the component fit was too hot with them initially, but they have claimed to have fixed that. Who knows?

Keep us posted Jeff.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Was talking with a Elite/Victory dealer from the left coast over at EAF- He wants to see how my spine test turns out as he stated the ID slop is a recent thing(?) He did say though that they have proven quite accurate/durable for him so he continues to use them.

Frankly, I'm really hoping these work out- cos I love the durability of the Goldtip style shaft , and the finished weights with my choice in fletch/components is right where I want it.

Quick Reply: Initial Impressions of Victory arrows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.