Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Shot a few new bows today >

Shot a few new bows today

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Shot a few new bows today

Old 03-23-2009, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Shot a few new bows today

So today, I had some extra time b/c i left school early and figured i might as well go try a few new bows to shoot/test. Im wasnt looking to buy b/c i know what i like and have what i want Just merely testing.

First up for the good- Ross Carnivore 31 -

Very nice draw. I really thought it had an exceptional draw for being maxed out @ 70#'s. It was quite, held pretty well for a short bow, and (i have to put this b/c soo many people care) it was virtually free of handshock. First thing i said was "it would be a real nice hunting bow". The fit/finish was nice as well and I liked the camo. The cams were HUGE which im sure contributes to the smooth draw, as well as the slow speed, but it was plenty fast for a hunting rig... Overall, I thought it was really nice and was definately a bow worth looking at.

Next for the bad... - The Monster -

They named it well IMO... b/c thats what it was to draw lol. The guys on here and the net really had me expecting that i would like it but uh uh! I hated it. the draw that is. The bow was nice, and felt pretty good. It felt kinda top heavy like the reezen. I shot it w/out a stabilizer and it still fell forward so i probably wouldnt even put one on it. The fit/finish is EXCELLENT imho. I loved how it looked and the camo. It is a looker for sure, and i believe they will sell a ton of these bows.

I texted TFOX after I shot it and told him my thoughts on it, and im sure he can vouch for me, im not a biased person, and i could care less what I or anyone else shoots, but this bow @ 70#'s was one that i really couldnt stand. Im a monster as well, and the draw on this Monster got the best of me. I compared it to the draw of the Treestand GX x-force that we have at the shop. Thing is, that GX is @ 80#'s not 70. I wont go as far to say that the draw of the Mathews is as hard or "harsh" as the GX, but it is as stiff.

The hump wasnt as bad as the stiffness. It was like at the half way point I had to increase my tension about 30% more to keep the cyclegoing. It almost seemed to me as though someoneput a brake on when i right before i got to the break over point. It broke over decent for a speed bow, but that was it. If i shot one of these bows, it would have to be at 55#'s or so. I had and hunted with a 101st so I know what a stiff draw is and I know thatallit takes is some getting used to, but this was alittlemuch.

Besides that, itwas quiet, virtually hand shock free etc... Nice bow if you can get over the cycle.

Derek
Old 03-23-2009, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shot a few new bows today

Weird.. I think the Xforce HF at the shop is much worse than the Monster apples-apples and the MOnster has a better "lock in" valley. That said I don't think the Monster draws nicely.

different' strokes
Old 03-23-2009, 05:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

For an all around midpriced hunting Bow, I think the Carnivores are extremely hard to beat, and after seeing between 1300 and 1500 shooters go through the shooting booths I have worked in the past few weeks that opinion is the same with most.

Many shooters have been very impressed by the Carnivores after shooting them. Smooth, smooth draw, good speed, very forgiving shooter, nice fit & finish, and a bullet proof design.

Dan
Old 03-23-2009, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JeffB

Weird.. I think the Xforce HF at the shop is much worse than the Monster apples-apples and the MOnster has a better "lock in" valley. That said I don't think the Monster draws nicely.

different' strokes
I forgot to comment on the valley! I do agree with you there that Monsterhas a better valley/wall. It locked in and to me it felt like a bowtech. The Xforce may have a larger hump, but the Monster was stiffer to me, that is what i was getting at.

Derek
Old 03-23-2009, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

No worries Derek!

I had a guy at the ATA show tell me that the Bowtech freedom cam was stiff , so I know things are perceived very differently by all of us as individuals. All of our different physical makeups.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

No worries Derek!

I had a guy at the ATA show tell me that the Bowtech freedom cam was stiff , so I know things are perceived very differently by all of us as individuals. All of our different physical makeups.
Wow!! I'd like to meet that guy!

Dan
Old 03-24-2009, 04:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

No worries Derek!

Dan
I was flabbergasted when he said that and then thought to myself "don't show this guy the Patriot Dually whatever you do"
Old 03-24-2009, 04:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

No worries Derek!

Dan
I was flabbergasted when he said that and then thought to myself "don't show this guy the Patriot Dually whatever you do"
LMBO!!

Dan
Old 03-27-2009, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

ill stick to my pse dream saeson, it shots fast has almost no hand shock and draws smooth